Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning machines

supercub

First off, Merry Christmas everyone. This is an awesome forum. I have done a search and did some looking around but can't seem to find a thread regarding a tuning machine upgrade. I have a 2011 epi dot studio and want to put some vintage style tuners on it with the green pegs(like on the older gibsons). The originals work just fine, just really like the looks of those on older gibsons. Can anyone recommend some? Thanks, Eric.

There are a few options for you. I put a set of Grover Deluxe Vintage Green Keystones on my Dot. No regrets. They are cheaper than their Gibson counterpart, but are the same thing except for the name engraved on the back of the tuners. I got mine from Stewmac.com. At the time, that was the best price I found.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Guitar_and_Solid_Peghead/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

I did try a set of Vintage tuners sold by guitar fetish and the quality was no where near the quality of the Grovers. I put them on a project guitar I did (Epi G-400 with a broken headstock). I sold the guitar shortly after finshing it.

This is the tuner:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/3x3-Keystone-Green-Key-Vintage-Style-Tuners-Nickel_p_36.html

Fixednet1.jpg

Something you may consider doing is put a set of keystone buttons on your Dot. I didn't know about that option when I did mine. Allparts.com sells them, but you have to call them. The last time I looked on their site, they didn't list any for the Grover tuners, but they have them. You just have to talk to a real person to get them. I think they were about $15 a set.

I changed mine out only because I didn't like the looks of the kidney buttons. The tuners were rock solid and kept the guitar in tune fine. Here is mine:

Dot-Tuners.jpg

This is the back of the tuners, but on my Epi G-400

SG002-1.jpg

Tulip buttons added to an Agile AL-2000

CSBMods4.jpg

FYI - I put them on. They are really easy to do. They are a direct drop in replacement. The new tuners have 2 small mounting holes in the back of each tuner. The old tuners have one. The original hole doesn't line up eith the new holes. If you look closely you can see a little bit of the hole on the bottom of each tuner. I have seen new Gibsons with these tuners that follow the contour of the headstock giving them the appearance of being crooked. I don't like that look so I tried to mount them as straight as I could.

If you do put them on yourself put a little masking tape on the back of the headstock where you are going to drill the holes for the new tuners. This will keep the finish from cracking. Just drill the holes smaller than the screws. Like I said, they are really pretty easy to do.

FYI - I put them on. They are really easy to do. They are a direct drop in replacement. The new tuners have 2 small mounting holes in the back of each tuner. The old tuners have one. The original hole doesn't line up eith the new holes. If you look closely you can see a little bit of the hole on the bottom of each tuner. I have seen new Gibsons with these tuners that follow the contour of the headstock giving them the appearance of being crooked. I don't like that look so I tried to mount them as straight as I could.

If you do put them on yourself put a little masking tape on the back of the headstock where you are going to drill the holes for the new tuners. This will keep the finish from cracking. Just drill the holes smaller than the screws. Like I said, they are really pretty easy to do.

That's some good stuff, Thanks. When I get them put on I'll post a pic.

Archived