Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Lp Classic 2014 vs Traditional 2014

hoross

I recently changed my standard 2008 for the lp classic 2014 which i dont regret cause the guitar is awesome now i was wondering if the traditional or what is the difference between the traditional and the classic.I cant try here in any guitarshop a traditional difficult to find.What are your thoughts here??? traditional or classic?

I recently changed my standard 2008 for the lp classic 2014 which i dont regret cause the guitar is awesome now i was wondering if the traditional or what is the difference between the traditional and the classic.I cant try here in any guitarshop a traditional difficult to find.What are your thoughts here??? traditional or classic?

I have a 2014 classic and a 2009 Traditional. The Classic has a 60's compound radius neck. The Traditional has a rounded late '59 shape. The Classic has uncovered '57 classic p/u's with coil splitting, and a 15 db boost. The Traditional has covered '57 classic p/u's without coil splitting. They are both chambered (the 2013 traditional has a solid body). The Classic is a much more versatile guitar and I prefer the neck on the Classic. The 15db boost I could live without, but it's there.

yes Donny i can see u pissed about that 15db boost BUT still i think it rocks on the guitar ,the classic 2014 remembers me a lot of the classic antique i used to have however im still wondering for the few dollars more if i wont exchange my classic 2014 to a traditional 2014 is it worth it Donny?

Cool i will ask my guitardealer to make a few changes on the guitar so i wont have to change it for the traditional 2014

Rock n roll bro [thumbup]

The 2014 Traditionals have 59 tribute pickups and 500k pots. The 2013 Trads have Classic 57's and 300k pots. The 2014's sound brighter and have more chime than LP's with 57's, they have more of a vintage sound to them. They are not for everybody, just for old guys like me.

Man, this gets real confusing.

Classic, Traditional, Standard. In order to know the differences, you really have to know when it was made.

In my mind, a Traditional is supposed to be a Standard, which they made so they could make the Standard something else than a Standard. I get it, except the Classic, when it came out, was essentailly what a Traditional is, a more traditional, regular ole LP.

All of this, so they could make "improved" more forward thinking versions and call them the "Standards". But now, they take the Classic and use it to add new ideas as they would the Standard, which is why the model was invented and remained in the catalog in the first place....to keep it "Classic", so to speak.

Not saying any are bad guitars, it's just confusing which is which, that's all.

Any more, the name "Classic", "Traditional", or "Standard" means nothing to me. Just tell me what it is, not what it's called.

Yeah here is hoping that 2016 brings us Classic and Traditional Les Pauls that dont have any whacked out nifty innovations on them Just good ole Classics & Traditionals. Let the Standard and Studio be the innovation launch pads. I thought about used but I like to register my Gibson so I wont be buying anymore until They fix my Les Paul Classic model.

Register? Are you kidding? The only register that matters is the cash register. You don't buy a guitar to do paperwork, man!

As far a "fixing" your Classic for 2016, I'm sure they will have something, just maybe called something else. As far as I can tell, your "Classic" that you know and love is a "Traditional", and for 2016, who knows what it will be?

I'm going to say it again, and EVERY time you bring it up: YOU NEED A 335! Memphis, as of right now, TODAY is building the stuff the WAY YOU WANT IT!

I only play Les Pauls and Stratocasters bro ;) I aint gonna change cuz they jacked stuff up. They can change if they want my change $$$$$$ Fender still does lol.

YOU don't have to change one bit, not at all, for a 335 because it IS the guitar for you!

I wouldn't WANT you to change anyway. Not that I really know you, but from what I can tell, there is only one D RAY, only one Fred Nugent, so on and so forth. Why would I rob the world of any D-Ray ness?

Seriously, if you love LP's and Strat's, you would absolutely LOVE the 335. I honestly believe that.

Archived