Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with new LP Standard need advice

Tim_D

The model is a 2013 Les Paul Standard and from a serial search indicates it was built in December 2012.

The problem I have is that when I pull the pots for the volume switch I do not get any noticeable change in tone. The same applies to both neck and bridge volume pull out pots.

The out of phase pot on the neck tone seems to do something and so does the pot on the bridge tone pot.

Can it be possible that the wiring of the instrument is wrong or that it requires service or is it normal behaviour? I mean if I only pull up the neck pickup volume pot and the others remain untouched then should I notice a tone difference?

Guest Farnsbarns

Out of phase will only make a difference in the middle position with balanced volumes. As for the other controls, they should make a difference.

The out of phase pot on the neck tone seems to do something and so does the pot on the bridge tone pot.

Hello Tim.

It's a common misconception. "Out-of-phase" is a term describing a relation. So, the neck pickup needs something else to be out of phase against.

As Farnsbarns said, it works when (at least) two pickups are in use.

Out-of-phase tone is quite noticable. The volume drops on lower notes, sound becomes hollow, high notes scream almost like harmonics. But (as Farnsbarns said) when one of the pickup's wolume control is turned down, the effect disappears.

Cheers... Bence

The model is a 2013 Les Paul Standard and from a serial search indicates it was built in December 2012.

The problem I have is that when I pull the pots for the volume switch I do not get any noticeable change in tone. The same applies to both neck and bridge volume pull out pots.

Can it be possible that the wiring of the instrument is wrong or that it requires service or is it normal behavior? I mean if I only pull up the neck pickup volume pot and the others remain untouched then should I notice a tone difference?

might be a coincidence but almost all of the 2013 models ive ever played had some sort of electrical component problem. the last two 2013 sg's i played the TogPots didnt seem to do what they were supposed to do and they were very scratchy. there was a significant difference between the two in any sound related detail you can come up with. both were the same guitar but both sounded completely different. one sounded quit normal but the other was shrill and weak. nothing appeared wrong just looking at the components but they were probably just cheap parts. soldering was a mess on both as well.

i still say 2013 was a bad year for gibson

might be a coincidence but almost all of the 2013 models ive ever played had some sort of electrical component problem. the last two 2013 sg's i played the TogPots didnt seem to do what they were supposed to do and they were very scratchy. there was a significant difference between the two in any sound related detail you can come up with. both were the same guitar but both sounded completely different. one sounded quit normal but the other was shrill and weak. nothing appeared wrong just looking at the components but they were probably just cheap parts. soldering was a mess on both as well.

i still say 2013 was a bad year for gibson

My 2013 LP works just fine. No electrical issues whatsoever.

Archived