Gibson Brands Forums

60's Johnny Smith

skylarkjazz

Hi all, thought I'd share some pix of my Johnny Smith. I think it is from the mid sixties. Was under a bed for a long time. My favorite guitar... I had lunch with Johnny Smith at his home in CO springs about four years ago and he signed the headstock for me. A beautiful person and one of my absolute favorite guitarists. He really liked this guitar. He said "Gibson got this one right!".

IMG_2552_zps415d4fa1.jpg

IMG_2553_zps59ccee0e.jpg

IMG_2554_zps06811c11.jpg

IMG_2555_zps57128fe0.jpg

IMG_2557_zps0755db36.jpg

IMG_2563_zpsa8f321dc.jpg

IMG_2564_zps12a7172c.jpg

IMG_2566_zps0c8287c0.jpg

IMG_2569_zpsc1362043.jpg

IMG_2571_zpsa1df7186.jpg

Seems like you and he would know a little bit more about it as far as exact date...... Thanks for sharing pics of that beauty. I am sure some of the regular posters will weigh in on it!

What is the nut width on the guitar?

The number 2 on the back of the headstock indicates that its a 'second' (some blemish or flaw) as it left the factory. Can you detect any?

Seems like you and he would know a little bit more about it as far as exact date...... Thanks for sharing pics of that beauty. I am sure some of the regular posters will weigh in on it!

What is the nut width on the guitar?

The number 2 on the back of the headstock indicates that its a 'second' (some blemish or flaw) as it left the factory. Can you detect any?

I've never known why it was labeled as a second. There is a short brown "burl" in the wood on the back, maybe that was it. Nut width is 1 11/16'.

Archived