Gibson Brands Forums

Original Jumbo 1934 reissue VS J45 True Vintage VS 1942 Legend

audiophil

Hello Gibson lovers!!!

I love Gibson acoustic guitars. Especially the round shoulders.

I have the opportunity to purchase a very sweet sounding 1934 reissue Original Jumbo (new old stock) at a good discount price. I was wondering if some of you had the opportunity to compare one of these to a J45 TV or even J45 1942 Legend? How do you think the OJ compare in term of sound quality and craftmanship?

The only other slope shoulder guitars in the store apart from this OJ are standard J45's. This OJ is very sweet but since i didn't have the chance to try a J45 TV am i missing something?

This OJ has been sitting in this store for quite a while, i think because the asking price was much too high. But now there is a substantial discount...

I don't remember reading any negative comments, yet there is not much talk about the OJ, not as much as say the popular Advanced Jumbo, which seems to be quite similar apart being Rosewood B/S and standard scale lenght.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks

Phil

Phil, I had a side by side sit-down with an OJ and 42L last July. Similar tones, different feel. Both had that balanced, puchy red spruce thing going on. The 42L was brighter, a little more resoundin'; way chunky but real easy playing neck. OJ was drier, darker. Neck was a wide rounded C which I did not find so easy going (Ive played some 30's reissues w/soft Vs that were more user friendly). OJ would be great for old timey music, rags, blues, etc; 42L could handle that, but also Holly, Hopkins and the Fabs. J

ps Ive also checked out a 45tv w/ a sitka top: brighter, more open still than 42L, neck not quite as beefy (Id expect an adi TV to be pretty similar, the big diff again being the neck).

here's my take on it..... if you like the guitar, then buy it. don't worry that there might be something better out there. if you do that, then you'll just spend all of your time chasing the next one. also, the 45TV will be easier to find in the future if you want one of those too. this OJ is sort of a one shot chance. you say you like it. buy it. and make sure you post some pics for us!

Phil' date=' I had a side by side sit-down with an OJ and 42L last July. Similar tones, different feel. Both had that balanced, puchy red spruce thing going on. The 42L was brighter, a little more resoundin'; way chunky but real easy playing neck. OJ was drier, darker. Neck was a wide rounded C which I did not find so easy going (Ive played some 30's reissues w/soft Vs that were more user friendly). OJ would be great for old timey music, rags, blues, etc; 42L could handle that, but also Holly, Hopkins and the Fabs. J

ps Ive also checked out a 45tv w/ a sitka top: brighter, more open still than 42L, neck not quite as beefy (Id expect an adi TV to be pretty similar, the big diff again being the neck). [/quote']

Thanks jkinnama. The OJ i tried has the thinner v-neck, and probably the most comfortable guitar i had the chance to play. The neck is fast and responsive and the action easy. You can feel the vibrations of the body in the neck. Just a great feeling. I agree the tone is dry and dark. That is what i'm looking for in a Gibson acoustic. It really sounds like an old broken-in guitar, i love it. The guitar just sings. The attack is very percussive and you can hear every note clearly. And the sustain is great.

here's my take on it..... if you like the guitar' date=' then buy it. don't worry that there might be something better out there. if you do that, then you'll just spend all of your time chasing the next one. also, the 45TV will be easier to find in the future if you want one of those too. this OJ is sort of a one shot chance. you say you like it. buy it. and make sure you post some pics for us![/quote']

You're right, modoc. I should buy the guitar if i like it no matter what people say. Just wanted to have some opinions from some forum members. Today i went back to the store, tried 12-15 guitars, various makes, Martins, Taylors, etc. Some of them were very good but i just kept getting back to this Gibson. It has a little something special i can't describe that is so attractive to my ears. Actually, i think i'll have to pull the trigger!!! And i guess with the price reduction i should not wait too much...

Thanks for input guys

Phil

Theres a guy who had a TV Limited edition/Adi topped J 45 for sale very very low price . But it has a speed neck

(finish removed) (pick guard removed also) It was on the trading post I was thinking about it but went for something else ! I have one of these its a "Great Guitar" Adi topped , Hide Glue great sound!

suburude

Agree with Jinder and others. I'm partial to the Legends series myself, but they are very expensive. Have played a couple of TVs, and other reissues but not the OJ. When Gibson gets it right it is very, very good and this one sounds special. Buy the guitar before someone else does. You can always move it along.

Archived