Gibson Brands Forums

Crestwood 1962 Reissue Replacement Pickups

Freddie Flesh

Hi All. I've been very pleased with my Epi Crestwood reissue -- very cool, high-quality/low-cost guitar -- and have had it for about a month, but I want to change the pups. So, my question is...

Will soapbar P-90s fit directly into the minihumbucker routes on my Crestwood or will there be trubba?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hi All. I've been very pleased with my Epi Crestwood reissue -- very cool, high-quality/low-cost guitar -- and have had it for about a month, but I want to change the pups. So, my question is...

Will soapbar P-90s fit directly into the minihumbucker routes on my Crestwood or will there be trubba?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I think the routes might be too small.

I'm not so sure that they wouldn't fit. But, several questions/comments. First, what is it about the stock mini hums that you don't like? Have you played with the height on them? You might consider going to Seymour Duncan SM-1 or 2, or my favorite mini's, Zhangbuckers. I put a set in a Sheraton R50s RI and the thing rocks, think angry Tele. Maybe all you need are better MHs. I like P-90s, I have 3 guitars with them, but there's something special about mini's. If you are sold on P-90s, though, contact one of the builders, like Lollar or Fralin and ask them if the back of their soap bars (or dog ears) will fit down inside a mini rout, they will know. You'll have to decide which brand to get, cheap ones may disappoint you. I've purchased eight different brands in the last 4 years, good ones will make a difference. Personally, I like Lollars, with Biltofts coming in second.

IMG_1228_zpsf1e6969f.jpg

I'm not so sure that they wouldn't fit.

Thanks Tweed & LPS.

I've got a Sheraton with Gibby mini's and it's perfect -- all the mini-hb tone I could want. The Crestwood's mini's are dogs by comparison -- A5 magnets, I think, not my taste (but who knows why they sound like they do). So, why not have a solid body with P-90s too (because I had to sell an SG Jr. some months ago)?

I picked up the Crestwood last month for $250, removed the tremolo, and put a stop tail on it. A pair of P-90s would get me where I need to be and still keep the Crestwood a budget guitar. I'll email the p'up makers and see what they say. More to follow: stay tuned.

Courteous Gents as we knew them to be, the folks at Lollar and Zhangbucker replied about their P-90s.

Here's what Lollar says about P-90s fitting into a Crestwood: I can’t say with 100% absolute knowledge, but I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t fit, as our Soapbar P90s are pretty standard sized. The depth of our pickup, including the cover is about 7/8” from top of cover to bottom of pole screws.

And, here's what Zhangbucker has to say: Probably but I can't say for sure. Here are the measurements of the P90 covers I have: Length: 86mm / Width: 34mm / Depth: 16mm

So, it's time to measure the Crestwood routs, but I'm at work. Maybe on my lunch break I'll get 'er done. More to follow...

You couldn't go wrong with either builder. Although I haven't played a Z-Bucker P-90, I have played just about everything else David's put out and his pickups are a great value. He'll ask a lot of questions about what you want, which I found very helpful. As long as you have a little time to wait, he is just a one man shop after all, it'll be worth it. Or, take a look at his specials page, already to go stuff. Pictures when you convert, OK? I think that my next project will be a solid body with gold foils. I have wondered is the Crestwood might be a good platform.

• 2 months later...

Here's an update on the Crestwood Pick-Up situation for y'all. Pictures below!

The deal is this: P90s DO NOT fit mini-humbucker cavities! P-90s are slightly larger and mini-hb cavities will need additional routing.

So, that's what I did in order to install a pair of Zhangbucker P90s in my Crestwood. The pickguard got routed too and it needed its white strip repainted -- no problem. The p'ups are a Blues 90 for the bridge and a Cherrick for the neck. Great pick-ups, as good as Gibson to my ears. Now, she's all back together.

Also, I took the tremolo off and added a stop-tail. Now, the Crestwood looks a lot like the AIUSA Epi Wilshire that Gibson reissued a few years ago. Plays great. Brought it all in at about $400.

post-70416-030169200 1430509792_thumb.jpg

post-70416-092908800 1430509814_thumb.jpg

Lollar make a P90 to fit the cavity of a Melody Maker (which I am considering for mine). No additional routing vs MM single coil, though pickhuard needs cutting (or they can supply new pickguard to suit) - that may well work for a Crestwood/Wilshire/Olympic for those wishing to go to P90.

Archived