Gibson Brands Forums

differences in TV and L

modoc_333

You can search past threads for more detail, but in brief, the 42L is high end vintage copy (adi top, hide glue, Big honkin' neck). TVs mix/match appointments (notably non-vintage AJ bracing). Of the 2, the TV is a little more resoundin', the L a little drier. In amp terms, a Super Reverb vs a 50s Bassman.

no, that's why i threw in the last sentence. i'm not looking to buy. i was asking purely for scholarly purposes. i just like to know the differences and specs and all of that. it's the nerd in me.

the last acoustic i bought was a MC Southern Jumbo. i know it's not the "right" specs but i liked the guitar so i bought it.

Some TVs do, some don't.

My J-185 TV has a sitka top, the Humingbird TV does as well.

Adi is fine, certainly in demand right now, but in the end sitka may make more players happy with their guitars tone.

I am not so sure it would be a good match with maple b/s.

I have owned both. The only difference you can see is . 1) The neck (Baseball bat size) The edge trim (Mocha colored) The 42L has hide glue but so does the TV Special and Limited edition also all those have Adi/Red Spruce tops.

As far a sound differences Mine were this way. 42L Mellower sound. TV Special More mids and treble but still a lot of Bass! You cant go wrong with any of them !!! I did not like the Neck on the 42L. I love the J45 TV Special Ed. I have!!

suburude

can someone give me the simple comparison between a True Vintage and Legend? the legend cost a lot more' date=' but why?[/quote']

The basic difference is that the Legend is a copy of a specific legendarily-good sounding vintage J-45, Eldon Whitford's '42. Same specs, similar construction techniques. (There's nothing especially vintage-y about the TVs, except for the general appearance.) It's the difference in construction techniques that accounts for most of the cost difference: Legends take many more people-hours to build, and the people who put in those hours are in high demand.

In fact, building Legends doesn't really make much economic sense for Gibson. The same person-hours required to build Legends could be devoted to building custom "art" guitars that sell for two or three times the price, and generate much more profit. I wouldn't be surprised if the books show that building Legends doesn't generate any profit at all. Sonically, the Legends are a huge success -- the tone of my J-45 Legend is very similar to my terrific late-'42/early-'43 J-45, except for not sounding "old", and my wife's L-00 Legend is simply the best sounding brand-new guitar I've ever heard -- but I wouldn't be surprised if they stop building them.

-- Bob R

Archived