Gibson Brands Forums

Floating Bridge

newlife15

Hi all,

can anyone recommend a floating bridge for my 1993 Epi Joe Pass? seems i am getting buzzing on the strings and it sure sounds like its from the bridge. when i loosen the stings and move them a bit it stops.

but after a little while it starts up again so i firgured time for a new floating bridge.....

comments thoughts welcome as always....

thanks

roy

how would i check to see if its actually the tailpice?

Some players will put a piece of foam under the tailpiece, or under the strings near the tailpiece to stop the extra vibration of the strings before the bridge. Just to experiment you may want to simply shove a few socks or a dishtowel down in there to see if that doesn't stop the buzzing.

I have a few arch tops with trapeze style tailpieces, and they all can cause extra noise coming from the tail end of the guitar. I personally don't mind the sound and even dig the extra tone I get out of the frequensator on my Broadway, or crazy looking New York skyline effect of the D'Angelico style tailpiece.

And as an aside, I've not heard of string buzz due to a worn out floating bridge. I suppose it can happen, but it hasn't happened to me.

If you choose to completely replace the bridge, there are several available, some with a rosewood saddle, some ebony, and even chrome tune-o-matic.

They are widely available from any number of guitar part supply houses.

thats a greast idea. i will go home tonight and see if the buzzing is due to the tailpiece.

frankly, i didnt even check to see if the tailpiece screws are a little loose. the guitar is 22 years old after all...

i think i will use one of my wifes workout socks....lol

Archived