Gibson Brands Forums

New I B Texan and Used AJ 500m

Daveyl7

I played four Texans one made in 2010 two in 2012 and one in 2014. I have also played some of the other Masterbilts a lot to. Not one of those guitars had the same beautiful sound feel or look as the 2011 DR500MCE I have since buying it new in 2012. You have to go find the guitar that YOU like the best and don't worry about what model it is. As long as the music that comes out of it moves YOU that is all that matters. Mik [cool]

Both guitars have their strong points. For me it's a preference for the feel of the neck and the tone is smoother in the AJ, my opinion. If it were my preference to play plugged in and have a cool lookin glossy guitar. Then the Texan would be my choice. It has more of a growling quality sound. Still a tough choice.

Anybody use Martin SP strings on their Masterbilt?

I have used them, and I am not really a fan of how they sound. I am not really a fan of the coated strings anyway. I have used regular adario's, and regular martin 12's, either sound good with my AJ.

I have used them, and I am not really a fan of how they sound. I am not really a fan of the coated strings anyway. I have used regular adario's, and regular martin 12's, either sound good with my AJ.

I have never used coated strings, my understanding is that Martin acoustic SP strings are not coated, they only cost $5. The Lifespan strings are Martin's coated string offering. All the same thanks for sharing your experience with the SP strings. I will give them a try, I can always go back to D adario or John Pearse. Maybe I'll give the new Martin Retro strings a go.

post-71938-047575900 1431208973_thumb.jpgAnybody notice how some Masterbilt guitar headstock is different. I was looking at online photos and noticed that some have a white outline around the front edge of the headstock. Is that a model difference for the rosewood line or does it have something to do with the year of manufacture. Also I think I saw some with gold and antique looking tuners.Does anybody know why these are different.?

Anybody notice how some Masterbilt guitar headstock is different. I was looking at online photos and noticed that some have a white outline around the front edge of the headstock. Is that a model difference for the rosewood line or does it have something to do with the year of manufacture. Also I think I saw some with gold and antique looking tuners.Does anybody know why these are different.?

Yes, some have a bound headstock, I guess essentially the "fancier" or more rare ones. The cut shape at the top is all the same, even on the AJ500RC, which is a slothead. I only know about the non-cutaway Masterbilts, but my EF500PNS and RAVS have bound headstocks with gold hardware, as does the AJ500RC. Each has different back/side/top solid wood combinations. On the other hand, my EF500MNS's headstock is not bound. Oddly, only the RAVS has a bound fretboard. I played them all today. They are all fantastic guitars!

BTW, I see that maple DR500PNS on ebay right now has a bound headstock and fretboard...

Yes, some have a bound headstock, I guess essentially the "fancier" or more rare ones. The cut shape at the top is all the same, even on the AJ500RC, which is a slothead. I only know about the non-cutaway Masterbilts, but my EF500PNS and RAVS have bound headstocks with gold hardware, as does the AJ500RC. Each has different back/side/top solid wood combinations. On the other hand, my EF500MNS's headstock is not bound. Oddly, only the RAVS has a bound fretboard. I played them all today. They are all fantastic guitars!

BTW, I see that maple DR500PNS on ebay right now has a bound headstock and fretboard...

Thanks Cougar, Yeah I did some searching and I found that the DR, AJ, and EF rosewood and maple body build has the bound headstock and gold tuners. The mahogany body does not get the fancy treatment.Although my AJ Mahogany has a bound fretboard and a stripe down the middle of the back. Do your rosewood masterbilt guitars have the stripe down the middle of the back? How would you describe the sound of the maple body compared to the mahogany?

Do your rosewood masterbilt guitars have the stripe down the middle of the back? How would you describe the sound of the maple body compared to the mahogany?

Yeah, they all have the middle stripe. And they all have a huge sound, bigger than the Martin GPCPA4, which is still big, but somehow a little more "refined." I think the maple sound is a little bigger than the mahogany, and the 12-fret slot head rosewood with cedar top (RC) is the loudest. (Of course, the RC is an AJ, not an EF, and the fractional difference in size is remarkably noticeable with it on my lap. These hardly ever come up for sale anywhere.) I just love the mahogany, though, too. They each have a very special tone. Beyond that, I'm not much of a sonicologist. [crying]

Yeah, they all have the middle stripe. And they all have a huge the 12-fret slot head rosewood with cedar top (RC) is the loudest. (Of course, the RC is an AJ, not an EF, and the fractional difference in size is remarkably noticeable with it on my lap. These hardly ever come up for sale anywhere.) I just love the mahogany, though, too. They each have a very special tone. Beyond that, I'm not much of a sonicologist. [crying]

When I first saw the Masterbilt video, I was taken by the slot head, felt I had to have one, but they are rare and I have not found any for sale. I have an Alvarez parlor guitar with the slot head, beautiful look and great sound for its smallish size. One caution for myself, changing strings takes more focus and care, not to scratch the headstock.

Archived