Gibson Brands Forums

My Les Paul Studio, Ruby Red

Silvercrow

I've put a piece of felt under a Lesters pickgaurd before, sounds almost like what you've got going on!! Great Fix IMO..

I will get around & scan that catalogs pages & email them to you sometime soon Brian

Also noticed that the Grover Tuners were factory for 1999/2000 on most models in this catalog, Like yours.. NICE!!

Studio thru Custom.. [thumbup]

Why couldn't they do that now?? Extra $100 I'd guess..

My 1994 has Gibson marked black tuners, see pic, on the rear of each is marked "Japan", These are Gotoh..

Gotoh Tuners

MIII%20Headstock%20Rear%20I.jpg

The paint is aerosol cans of testors enamel 1605 transparent candy red, I picked up two cans @ Hobby Lobby..

Hobby Lobby Testors 1605 Transparent Candy Red

I couldn't find any Nitro Celulose Lacquer in rattle cans in the Trans red anywhere? So being I used to be a bodyman in the early 80s I knew I could spray Enamel over Lacquer so I went that route.. Gibson used to sell this paint years ago at a few local guitar stores in spray cans & touch up brush tubes..

Thanks Bro! No rush on the catalog pages-appreciate you doing it for me!

The felt "thing"; the old ES125T I sold to a forum member had a sort of plastic 'spacer' attached to it and I wondered why felt wouldn't work? So far so good- I actually beveled the felt on the contact side with a razor and scissors, so the angle would fit the top contour a little better. Yeah...I'm anal as all get-out!

I'd not have known you could spray enamel over lacquer! I always took comfort reading that re-spraying and touch ups on nitro were realitively easy, but easy is a subjective word for me. I'm not real good at spray painting; was never a tagger growing up and too impatient to do a good job when I built car and airplane models [unsure]

I've read on the boards that places like "ReRanch", etc. have various colors, but I guess the problem would be matching colors closely enough to what might very well be a speciality color for Gibson, Fender or whoever.

StewMac has a large section in their catalog for refinishing. I watch Dan Erlwine's videos which are informative. But I just shake my head in awe as he makes that stuff look so easy and natural; "All you've gotta do is..[enter deceptively simple instructions here]..

Thanks again..

Brian

The pics make the neck look better than it does to ME in person, I'm anal too.

I was a bodyman & went to school in 1982 to learn the craft, I will have to wetsand with 1000 & 2000 till my hands hurt to get it how I want, smooth as glass, I may go ahead & spray a shadow over the repair being I am going to spray the front of the headstock black around the logos then wetsand the whole mess & then clear coat the whole neck front & back, a lot of waiting in between, The nature of the beast, If you can still smell paint, the gasses are still coming out of the paint & you gotta wait longer..

Plan on beveling the edge of the frets with a tool I made a few weeks ago from scraps & a broken file when I first setup great grandpaw gatterer's old craftsman tablesaw that hasn't seen action in over 30 years, It's so smooth & quiet just purs like a kitten, new blade & it's 100%, I already polished the frets before I masked the fret board for painting..

Homemade 35 Degree Fret end File

P5140002.jpg

Fret%20End%20File%2030%20Degrees.jpg

Fret Polish with Nevr-Dull & Mother Polish then Lemon Oiled the fretboard afterwards

Fret%20Polish%201.jpg

Fret%20Polish%203.jpg

Here's the scans of the 2000 Cataloue Cover & the Studio Page

2000%20catalog.jpg

2000%20studio.jpg

That is just a COOL guitar! I want that too. I want all of the REAL ones! I saw a Craigslist ad from the Buffalo area for a tailpiece, Chinese Tune-A-Maybe Bridge, Pickup, etc. He advertised that it was off of a cheap Chinese guitar. I thought to myself, Is he fixing it up for himself, or to sell it as a Gibson. I will not ever buy another used ZGibson Electric Guitar. It's just getting too scary out there. I sure do miss the good ol' days, when a dollar was without a dollar, and guitars were made HERE!

My older son just picked up some kind of les paul custom copy & it's missing the gold tailpiece & bridge, I told him that a real one will cost $50-$75 but a chinese one will be $14 with S&H from china

Btw my 94 studio MIIIs Bridge & tailpiece are schaller from germany

Thanks much Headknocker!What a cool thing to see!

Thanks too for posting your work / progress! I've gotta tell ya man, that is, hands down, the NEATEST taping off job I've ever, and probably WILL ever, see! I'd post a picture of mine when I do the fret ends, but it looks like a little kid did it. (The tape job, I mean...

Nice work all the way around!

BTW- nothing wrong with Gotoh...my US made Breedlove sports 'em and I have no issues...

Brian

This one here sounds pretty good I must say.. [thumbup]

NighthawkInCase_1.jpg

As far as the masking, when I worked as a autobodyman masking cars up was part of every day, I got pretty good at it, On the smaller frets i had to cut the tape in half, I should buy a thin roll but went with what I had on hand, If you mask the sides/ends first it'll peel right off in one sheet too.. SWEET!!

This one here sounds pretty good I must say.. [thumbup]

NighthawkInCase_1.jpg

As far as the masking, when I worked as a autobodyman masking cars up was part of every day, I got pretty good at it, On the smaller frets i had to cut the tape in half, I should buy a thin roll but went with what I had on hand, If you mask the sides/ends first it'll peel right off in one sheet too.. SWEET!!

Once again...great idea! I'll be doing my fret ends next time I change strings; I'll use that side-first technique. Thanks!

@Kuma- I'd have to agree!! Red / Black enhance the sonic waveforms; their relative visual waveform combining with 7th order harmonics / quavers to produce a palate of sound unmatched by any other combination! With the possible exception of tobacco burst over highly figured maple top in combination with the angled bridge uncovered humbucker, of course! [thumbup]

Brian

Archived