Gibson Brands Forums

My Les Paul Studio, Ruby Red

Silvercrow

Hi Everybody!

Well, I sold, traded, swapped until I finally got what I should have gone for in the first place. Introducing "Scarlet", 2000 Les Paul Studio, Ruby Red, with 490R / 498T pickups.

I'm still learning about the model- I've read where the Ruby Red was part of the "Gem" color series at one point? Anyway...I LOVE the tone and the looks of this beauty. I never thought I'd consider a red guitar except for the "Vintage Red" which I've always admired. Loving this so far!

It's got the smaller trapezoid markers but the fretboard figure is prominent and I'm liking it this way.

I think the figure in the top is beautiful! Plays VERY well. So nice to have a guitar I'm not trying to make into something it's not! You'd think after all the years I've been alive I'd know not to try and compromise on what I really want.

It has a "reptile" type case with no name badge- really nice. I'll post some more pics and maybe someone could identify it for me? Thanks! Let me know what you all think!

Brian

Les20Paul20Studio20Ruby20Red20008.jpg

Les20Paul20Studio20Ruby20Red20014.jpg

lovely guitar Brian - enjoy [thumbup]

Ruby Red was a Gem colour but I'm almost certain Gems were all P90's so you might have to do some investigation into Gibson colour options that year etc (which is an interesting exercise) or maybe someone here will know about the 2000 range. I like the studios in these solid coulours, I tend to notice the lack of body binding (neck binding doesn't interest me) on the studio bursts more, but the solid colours like this I really dont notice it. nice score!!

Hi Brian, Scarlet is a beauty [thumbup] lovely colour and wood grain. It's great you've found 'the one'. Nothing beats that feeling when you find a guitar and play it for the first time and its as if you've always had that guitar.

I had the same with my SG, bonded straight away :)

Hope you have lots of fun cranking up the amp and shaking the foundations :) [thumbup]

kind regards, Emma

Thanks all! I'm really loving it! There is a solid black LP Studio I'm supposed to look at on Tuesday but I'm already sold on this one! Neck profile, looks, everything! Like Emma said- it feels so good to finally bond with one. Feels like we've been together a long while! A couple more pics...

Les20Paul20Studio20Ruby20Red20006.jpg

Les20Paul20Studio20Ruby20Red20016.jpg

Les20Paul20Studio20Ruby20Red20008.jpg

Les20Paul20Studio20Ruby20Red20015.jpg

Does anyone recognize what kind of case this is? It's got a dark green plush lining and a form fitting neck support- that you lift to access the storage "box". Really cool case, but the badge must have come off at some point; you can see where it was...

@ Headknocker- WOW that's some LP you've got! Nothing "Lite" looking about it for sure; I'll bet that puppy wails!

Thanks again. Sound reports coming soon. Gonna play her at worship service tomorrow...

Brian

lovely guitar Brian - enjoy [thumbup]

Ruby Red was a Gem colour but I'm almost certain Gems were all P90's so you might have to do some investigation into Gibson colour options that year etc (which is an interesting exercise) or maybe someone here will know about the 2000 range. I like the studios in these solid coulours, I tend to notice the lack of body binding (neck binding doesn't interest me) on the studio bursts more, but the solid colours like this I really dont notice it. nice score!!

I know what you mean. On the solid translucent colors the cap mating to the mahogany body almost makes a binding effect, kind of. And I feel the same way about neck binding- I'd just as soon not, but I'll tell ya, the full binding does bring out the "pizazz" and class in an LP!

Brian

You've got a beautiful instrument there. My black 2002 studio has one of the finest LP necks I've ever played on. The red finish on yours certainly grabs the eye. Very nice.

I too believe the case is made by TKL. The TKL case I purchased to store a jazz box in ran me close to $300.00. Your cases covering, stitching and hardware look much the same.

Nice guitar.......love the color!

I'm not sure if that is the same ruby as the gem series. Gem's were all P90, but they did a series of "Regular" humbucker studios with the left over gem paint. I think the gem colors were solid not translucent.(My amethyst one is solid)

Either way, great looking guitar......I love to see colors that are not the ever day white/black/cherry/etc.

enjoy!!!

Hey, thanks folks! [blush] Very nice compliments! The Lord is VERY good to me!

Arlum, Headknocker- thanks for the case info, too! I've owned a couple TKL cases, but not one like this. I really feel I got a great deal all-around!

Played her in church today and she sounded wonderful. An older lady- (around my age... [glare] ) was in her car leaving as I was crossing the street to go home after services. She yells out the window "Nice guitar you got there, Brian!" She's real nice and I have to agree- it is a sweet guitar.

From what I'm hearing from you guys- its hard to pin down color schemes from past years? It stands to reason I suppose; almost all major manufacturers will do stuff like use left over paints, woods, accessories from various runs. Hence the disclaimer "Specifications subject to change without notice.." etc. LOL!

Thanks again...and also for posting our pics! I can look at guitars all the day long!

Brian

Thought You'd Like that silvercrow

WHOA! Thanks Headknocker! I have not been on the board for a few days- happily playing Scarlet! Thank-VERY cool!

I installed a small felt pad underneath the pickguard on her Friday night. The 'guard doesn't move now plus if I get a little 'zany' with my attack, no chance of the bracket nut hitting the top. The guard was rubbing / bouncing and was cut slightly off- the cut out rubbing against the bridge pup's beauty ring. I thought about posting a DIY on it but I'm sure someone has already discovered this or something similar.

Headknocker- thanks again!

Brian

I found the 2000 Gibson catalogue today..

Here you Go!!

Gibson%202000%20catalog.jpg

2000 Studio

2000%20Studio.jpg

Painted the neck today, So Far..

MIII%20Neckjoint.jpg

MIII%20headstock.jpg

VERY NICE JOB Headknocker! Looks like a pro job! What are you using? Are you using a 'gun' or aerosol cans?

Keep me / us posted!

And thanks again!

BTW- it looks like on the catalog says rosewood neck, 22 frets three quarter scale. Any idea what that means?

Brian

Hi Brian. The full line reads Rosewood, 22 frets/Three quarter scale trapezoid.

It means for the guitar as shown in photo opposite: the fingerboard is of rosewood, has 22 frets and the trapezoid inlays are c3/4 the size of LP Standard trapezoid inlays.

Hi Brian. The full line reads Rosewood, 22 frets/Three quarter scale trapezoid.

It means for the guitar as shown in photo opposite: the fingerboard is of rosewood, has 22 frets and the trapezoid inlays are c3/4 the size of LP Standard trapezoid inlays.

Thank you!! Between my aging eyes and the glare on the page couldn't make out what it said! So that's what they called the smaller trap inlays...innerestin'!

Brian

I've put a piece of felt under a Lesters pickgaurd before, sounds almost like what you've got going on!! Great Fix IMO..

I will get around & scan that catalogs pages & email them to you sometime soon Brian

Also noticed that the Grover Tuners were factory for 1999/2000 on most models in this catalog, Like yours.. NICE!!

Studio thru Custom.. [thumbup]

Why couldn't they do that now?? Extra $100 I'd guess..

My 1994 has Gibson marked black tuners, see pic, on the rear of each is marked "Japan", These are Gotoh..

Gotoh Tuners

MIII%20Headstock%20Rear%20I.jpg

The paint is aerosol cans of testors enamel 1605 transparent candy red, I picked up two cans @ Hobby Lobby..

Hobby Lobby Testors 1605 Transparent Candy Red

I couldn't find any Nitro Celulose Lacquer in rattle cans in the Trans red anywhere? So being I used to be a bodyman in the early 80s I knew I could spray Enamel over Lacquer so I went that route.. Gibson used to sell this paint years ago at a few local guitar stores in spray cans & touch up brush tubes..

Archived