Gibson Brands Forums

String Rattle?

NervusTwitch

Ok last month I bought a new Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Pro and it has been great.I did a setup on it when I bought it. But yesterday I wanted to try a different brand of strings.

So I thought I would try Ernie Ball Colbalt. I kept the same gauge and all but my G string rattles only when played open.If I fret it's fine on every single fret.

I have experience setting up my own guitars for many years.But this is really the first LP and non floyd bridge guitar I have really ever needed to mess with other than the Jackson Rhoads V with string through and a tune o matic style bridge,but when my wife bought it for me she had a setup done on it by taking my Jackson DK2M to the tech to set it up the same.

So I am learning with this LP.

Just a bit of history over the last month.

I put 9's on it after buying and yes it was setup for that gauge.I want 10's but nerve damage has stopped that.

Anyway I tried out my usual D Addario's for a week,then I tried out some EB Slinky's for a week.

So yesterday I wanted to try something else So I got the EB Cobalt and that G string is annoying the hell out of me.

I went through every nut,screw,bolt....you name it and made sure again that they were all tight and they are.

Only reason I been using different strings is that for years I have used Addarios and for the most part liked them but they have always been a bit too bright sounding for me,but most of all I hate how clanky they sound. Well so far the EB Cobalts have no clanky sound and not quiet as bright sounding.

Also I did install a new Tusq nut on it,I really dislike those stock plastic nuts.Stays in tune better and seems to let the notes ring better.

All strings are the same height at nut,checked with Feeler gauges.I even raised the bridge up just to rule out any fret buzz,nope still does it.

Now while plucking open G I kept my ear close to the guitar and started at the body and slowly moved up to the head.It sounds loudest at the headstock. I have gripped onto the nut and tuners to rule that out,all was good.

The only way I have been able to stop the rattle is just to put my fingernail into the G string slot at the nut and just a tad of pressure on the top of the string.I did not make the string go sharp/flat.I have looked at the nut close.I see no slithers,burs or anything that looks different from the other slots.

None of the other string sets did this ever,just this last time.

Only other thing I did was flip the G string saddle around to set the intonation.

Any ideas? Possible bad string? I did hear a slight pop sound while stringing up that G,so not sure what may have happened there.

Sorry for long post,just wanted to let all now right off what I have checked.

Its the Tusq nut. I just did a setup on an Epi LP and installed a Tusq nut on it. It had the same problem, regardless of how high I adjusted the nut. I took the damn thing off finally and put the old plastic one back on. I'm not sure if the slots are cut funny in the Tusq nuts and need to be reshaped or what, but you're not the only one to have this happen.

Its the Tusq nut. I just did a setup on an Epi LP and installed a Tusq nut on it. It had the same problem, regardless of how high I adjusted the nut. I took the damn thing off finally and put the old plastic one back on. I'm not sure if the slots are cut funny in the Tusq nuts and need to be reshaped or what, but you're not the only one to have this happen.

Thanks.

I was guessing thats what it was but was kind of throwing me off since it did not do it with 2 other sets of strings,just these current ones.

As of right now Im just playing it to see if it stops,doubt it.

Maybe I can contact them and see what they say about a replacement or something.

Not a big deal but I did buy it.

Firm believer in if you pay for a product or service,I want to be satified.

Just a bit of history over the last month.

I put 9's on it after buying and yes it was setup for that gauge.I want 10's but nerve damage has stopped that.

Did you check your neck relief? You could have a very slight back bow now. That could be caused from anything to climate/humidity changes to the tension changes from one gauge to another then a different tension set for the cobalts.

This is not a big deal.. this time of year, for example, where I live, it's quite expected to tweak the neck relief in the New England areas. Loosen the truss rod about 1/4 turn. that should do it.

Thanks for the reply.

My issue is string rattle and not buzz.

Neck is set for the gauge. First thing I ever do when buying any guitar is new string and complete setup with a full clean and polish. Then I check every nut,screw....you name it,anything that can be tightened to eliminate rattles.

There is no back bow,I have a slight relief in the neck unlike my jacksons....those suckeres are dead straight.

Archived