Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

thejay

I might get hung for this one but I thought what the heck, I'll try it. Les Paul Classic 2015... yes a 2015, my first and only. I have to admit the only 2015 I was interested in was a 335 (into the block inlay and I like the Burstbucker 1/2s) but alas here it is a Seafoam Green LP. Off the bat super pretty top and back (natural), a couple of minor finish issues... eh... a little annoying for the cost of these but I will go on. The case is ugly but looks nice, I like the super huge compartment on the inside, why is it this huge? Probably for all the G-Force stuff that comes with it! There is even a picture of the same guitar on the workbench at Gibson?! Really?! Neat. Quick Pro/Con list for you all, most of the updates are on both I have to admit...

Pros -

G-Force - super cool (I do not know if its working)

Wide Neck - bending of the high e, yes please with ease no falling off the board. Maybe I am doing it wrong on my other guitars! [scared]

Removeable PIckguard - this is super cool and I love it. I always wondered why put a pick guard on such beautiful maple tops

Pickups - 57/Super 57; not sure what the difference between the 57+ and the Super 57 is but they sound good.

Split Coil - believable sounds, one of the better split coils I have heard from Gibson.

Plek'd - OK... I will give it a Pro...

Color - I am sucker for the older colors of Fender and Gibson so a Seafoam Green maple top was a little off the wall enough that I had to

db boost - take the battery out = killswitch I like it! The clean boost is cool not sure if I would really use it

Weight - at least 10lbs, it is super heavy feels like older LPs I have had a chance to play

Cons -

G-Force - is it really in tune?! My Boss TU3 says NO. The more I "tune" it the closer it gets, hmmmm really?

Wide Neck - gets huge feeling around the 12ft fret. I suspect if you can play fast on these you will be lightning quick on a slim 60s neck on the normal width.

Frets - feel a little sharp actually

Finish - the grain has some unsettling marks thoughout, some of the paint is on the binding

Grip knobs- feel really large and I miss the other tone pot.

All and all... not sure if I am keeping this one [confused]

IMG_4632_zpslh6ipkra.jpg

IMG_4634_zpshagsi8oe.jpg

Nice.... love that colour and that top...

So did you buy it on competition day?

And yes.. the big fat necks is exactly why im not interested in 2015 models... just not my thing..

Nice.... love that colour and that top...

So did you buy it on competition day?

And yes.. the big fat necks is exactly why im not interested in 2015 models... just not my thing..

I did, not that it will matter if I return it...

Other thing I will mention I did not realize, the bridge can only be used with an allen wrench, didn't realize that one!? Neither here nor there, interesting

That is a very nice guitar! The finish really catches the eye! So the bridge only works with allen wrenches/hex keys? Personally, I love working with bridges that have allen wrenches and hex keys, all of my main guitars have bridges with those and I have yet to complain about them. They work smoothly and I found you don't have to worry about damaging the body or finish if you're adjusting the bridge. One of my old guitars, it was a Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee, and it had a vintage Floyd Rose bridge which needed a flat head screw driver to adjust bridge height... and one slip with that thing and you'd scratch the finish, scratches which were very noticeable too. That's why I love the hex keys, no scratches or dings :)

That's also nice that it has a removable pick guard! That finish is so pretty, it doesn't need to be covered with a pick guard lol! Hopefully it turns out being a great guitar for you! It looks amazing and hopefully it plays that way too! Btw, I'm not sure if you know this but I stumbled across a G Force article from Gibson Guitars, maybe it could help with figuring out if the G Force is working?? I've never worked with them myself either, but maybe this link will help you. I was curious about the G Force myself and found this.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/How-Gibson-G-FORCE-Automatic-Tuning-Works.aspx

The only other kind of G Force I've ever heard of was a terrible, spinning ride at the fall fair here lol Gibson's G Force sounds much cooler and kinder than the fall fair's G Force lol!

Congrats on the new guitar! :)

Archived