Gibson Brands Forums

ES137 sounds

Mr. Nick

Can some one tell me the difference in quality between a Memphis and Nashville made ES-137? Also since the ES-137 is no longer made, what about the sound or tone? Mellow or snap & growl? What about size compared to a 335? I'm trying to make up my mind about buying a 137 and I am trying to find out as much info on these as I can. I have found these models to be readily available and the price is in my price range, also I am looking for a semi or full hollow body. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Mr. Nick

Oh that's easy. Nashville are complete CRAP and only Memphis knows how to make guitars.

Just kidding everybody!

I have one of each and they are like brother/sister. Family, yes. Identical, no. Nashville makes solid body, Memphis is all other. Nashville, custom shop... But wait! Memphis has one too. They have similar playability, both nuts are identically troublesome. Both Corian and both seemingly cut for a set of .08s (I play .10s).

Cool pickups come from both factories. Gorgeous wood grains from both. Signature sounds from each. Both factories know how to dent your wallet, Memphis hits a little harder, in my experience.

No idea or interest whatsoever in 'Memphis vs Nashville' arguments.... [biggrin]

The ES137 is IMO a great guitar... [thumbup]

Worth playing extensively before deciding whether to purchase

IMO a heavy guitar...

Available in 'Classic' and 'Custom' configurations

Alternatives would include ES335, ES175, ES330 etc

V

:-({|=

• 1 month later...

My ES137 Classic is my favorite guitar EVER. It's very comfortable to hold and play standing or seated. I find it offers very good upper-fret access. The 498T bridge pickup was a bit too muddy sounding to suit my taste, so I replaced it with a 57 Classic, which I believe really should have been in it to begin with. It's a rocknroll machine that can sound jazzy, woody and hollow as well as in-your-face. Mine had no noticeable imperfections when I got it in 2004, and still looks nearly new today. A great guitar, you won't be sorry. With this guitar I no longer have a need for a 335.

Archived