Gibson Brands Forums

nut and saddle wear

shuvalkin

I recently purchased a Gibson Hummingbird Pro, which I am in love with. As some of you may recall if you read other posts about this, I was having some problems with buzz on the top string playing an open d (certainly in DADGAD and DADFAD tuning, but even with the guitar still in standard tuning and just dropping the top string). I tried a variety of solutions, but reluctantly settled on the conclusion that the action on that particular string was just a tiny bit too low. Rather than fill and then re-slot the nut, I thought I'd just go ahead and replace the bone nut (stock) with tusq since I was curious about whether I'd be able to tell if there was a tonal difference. Mission accomplished. No more buzz, though I think I might still sand the tusq down just a bit more. The action is just about right, but still feels just a bit high at the first fret. (As for the tonal difference, I can't hear any difference at all between bone and tusk at the nut. And that's not really a surprise. I've read that the material for the saddle and bridge pins make more difference than the nut.)

Anyway, this got me wondering... how often do y'all replace or do repair work on your saddles or nuts. Obviously it will depend on how much play the particular guitar gets. But I've only had to replace one other nut, and that was an instance where a heavy gauge bottom broke off the end of a plastic nut on an electric. I also once replaced a tusq saddle on an acoustic with a bone saddle. The tusq had been on the guitar for a couple years with moderate playing (several times per week), but the saddle was still in good shape, and the replacement was mainly to try a bone saddle with that particular guitar (which I think did improve the tone perhaps ever so slightly... or maybe that's just wanting it to be that way since I spent so much time sanding the new saddle to fit it in the guitar).

So it seems like tusq and probably even bone can last a number of years before needing any replacement.

Or maybe this is like that question about how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

I still have the original saddle in my 1974 J-50, and I bought that when it was new. I had some major work done on it a couple years ago and asked the Luthier what he thought about the nut, saddle and bridge. He said they were fine.

I got my 1965 J-50 recently, but AFAIK it still has the original nut and rosewood saddle.

You shouldn't have to change the nut or saddle unless one or the other cracks. They should last a lifetime of playing. I disagree with many who feel bridge pins have noticeable tone influence. Saddle, nut, and the break angle of your strings do the heavy lifting.

Archived