Gibson Brands Forums

Poor QC from Memphis

Sitedrifter

Always lots of back and forth on quality, new old, now then, but the truth is in the bottom line. They are surely doing something wrong and if they don't figure it out soon there won't be any thing for us to gripe about. They will all be collectible regardless of condition because no one will be making them.

Kalamazoo is still putting out some fabulous guitars in the same location and by some of the same old people. "The Heritage"

• 1 month later...

I have an Epi Iced Tea ES335 PRO which has an absolutely amazing and flawless finish, really beautiful and no blemishes anywhere in sight. Indeed this particular "Limited Edition" Epi is no longer made and has become something of a collectors item I'm told.

Anyway, I also have a Gibson ES355 Memphis which in itself is a sight for sore eyes, but hand on heart I can't say the finish is as luscious as the Epi. Having said that there is something enchanting about it with it's cherry red finish highlighting the wood grains etc but it's not perfect in certain areas but then again should it be? Are our expectations set too high these days when buying Gibson. Every other aspect of the Gibson beats the Epi hands down as you'd expect.

As is typical of my luck, recently I accidentally dropped 5 sockets held in a rubber strip, which landed face down (yes you guessed it) on the top of my Gibson 355 so now I have 5 lovely dings for my pleasure! I'll never sell this guitar in my lifetime and at least I know for sure that it's mine ;-)

I have an Epi Iced Tea ES335 PRO which has an absolutely amazing and flawless finish, really beautiful and no blemishes anywhere in sight. Indeed this particular "Limited Edition" Epi is no longer made and has become something of a collectors item I'm told.

Anyway, I also have a Gibson ES355 Memphis which in itself is a sight for sore eyes, but hand on heart I can't say the finish is as luscious as the Epi. Having said that there is something enchanting about it with it's cherry red finish highlighting the wood grains etc but it's not perfect in certain areas but then again should it be? Are our expectations set too high these days when buying Gibson. Every other aspect of the Gibson beats the Epi hands down as you'd expect.

As is typical of my luck, recently I accidentally dropped 5 sockets held in a rubber strip, which landed face down (yes you guessed it) on the top of my Gibson 355 so now I have 5 lovely dings for my pleasure! I'll never sell this guitar in my lifetime and at least I know for sure that it's mine ;-)

[scared] OUCH, sorry to hear of the "socket" accident! [crying] Sounds like MY luck! [tongue] 355's are such amazing guitars! [thumbup]

CB

[scared] OUCH, sorry to hear of the "socket" accident! [crying] Sounds like MY luck! [tongue] 355's are such amazing guitars! [thumbup]

CB

Definitely "OUCH"!!! Still, s**t happens so I've got to let it go and get over it ;-) And I totally and utterly agree, 355's are just simply amazing! :)

CB

Definitely "OUCH"!!! Still, s**t happens so I've got to let it go and get over it ;-) And I totally and utterly agree, 355's are just simply amazing! :)

Archived