Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge PIns 1934 OJ

jw3571

I mentioned a few days ago that I purchased a 1934 OJ Reissue. One thing I noticed while changing strings was that the bridge pins were not all consistent. Every other one appears to be a different color. Cream vs more of an ivory? Is this normal? They also didn't do a very good job keeping the strings in while I was restringing, they popped out a few times. Should I be purchasing some Colosi pins?

plastic pins - probably true to the original. Color variation? Don't notice that on any of mine. Popping out lis likely due to the ball end getting snagged on the end of the pin put the string in, put the pin in and then give er a gentle yank to get that ball-end seated up to the bridge plate. I've been string my guitars for decades and still have this happen from time to time. Had one pop out and flew across the room. Took me weeks to find it. [biggrin]

I mentioned a few days ago that I purchased a 1934 OJ Reissue. One thing I noticed while changing strings was that the bridge pins were not all consistent. Every other one appears to be a different color. Cream vs more of an ivory? Is this normal? They also didn't do a very good job keeping the strings in while I was restringing, they popped out a few times. Should I be purchasing some Colosi pins?

Some of these 1934 OJ Reissues came with bone pins, sounds like yours have bone. That's the reason for the color difference, the pins on mine were also bone. I changed to Antique Acoustics replicas. The bone pins should be fine as well, if they pop out you my want to check if they are seated well. I am not a big fan of slotted bridge pins, I prefer slotted bridge instead. There is no issue with pins popping out and less wear on the bridge plate.

Archived