Gibson Brands Forums

Please help me identify this old Gibson flattop

richardellis

This guitar was my dad's. Can someone help me identify it? I can barely make out the stamp inside and it looks like it says J-45 adjustable. Hard to tell.

Is this a J-45? I think he bought it in 1961

There is nothing on the neck block but on the back of the headstock there is a number which is 318317

3226147892_142d3faf71_b.jpg

I found this on the serial number...it seems that it may be a 1961

In 1961 Gibson started a new serial number system that covered all instrument lines. It consisted of

numbers that are impressed into the wood. It is also generally known to be the most frustrating and hard to

understand system that Gibson has employed. The numbers were used between the years 1961-1969. There

are several instances where batches of numbers are switched in order, duplicated, not just once, but up to

four times, and seem to be randomly assigned, throughout the decade. In general though, the numbers are

approximately as follows:

APPROXIMATE YEAR SERIAL RANGE

1961 100-42440

Throughout the 90s gibson continued production on gibson j-45 guitars with different related names such as the j-45 western , j-45 yamano , j-45 custom , j-45 rosewood and the Gibson J-45 buddy holly limited edition .

Vintage Price Value For 2008 :

1942 - 1949 > $4500 to $7500

1950 - 1960 > $3700 to $4700

1961 - 1969 > $2400 to $3500

1969 - 1974 > $1500 to $2000 ( square shoulders )

1975 - 1999 > $1500 to $2000 ( round shoulders

Good thing the bridge is broken. You can replace it with a non-adjustqable. Cool guitar to find.

I have been thinking about getting it replaced. Always wondered if it would affect the original value of the guitar?? I really don't have much choice. It plays fine still' date=' but does not hold tune very well if played hard.

I found a pic of the same guitar with a new fixed bridge. Not as dark as mine, but I have 48 years of patina (and salt air, spilled beer, sweat) on mine.=D>

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3229161385_013cc7af4c_o.jpg[/img]

I have been thinking about getting it replaced. Always wondered if it would affect the original value of the guitar?? I really don't have much choice. It plays fine still' date=' but does not hold tune very well if played hard.

I found a pic of the same guitar with a new fixed bridge. Not as dark as mine, but I have 48 years of patina (and salt air, spilled beer, sweat) on mine.=P~

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3229161385_013cc7af4c_o.jpg[/img]

This looks like a cherry sunburst, from the picture you posted of yours, it doesn't look like a cherry sunburst, yours appears (again it could be the angle of the picture) like a natural, - nice geetar.

Looks also like your guitar has red sides and back which would make it a J45, the J50 of this era had brown back and sides.

I don't know that you are going to loose much value having a non-adjustable bridge put on. I'm not a advocate of changing these bridges when they are original. Keep the adjustable pieces that come out, you can sell those.

What really lowers the value of these guitars are ugly, poorly done, oversized bridges. I have seen plenty of those.

You may be able to get a current bridge from Gibson, you would have to go to a Gibson authorized repair person. I just don't know what Gibson's policy is these days. New Gibson bridges always look a little larger than the old guitars had, maybe my imagination. You could also have one hand made by a skilled luthier if he knows what an original bridge looks like.

Anyway the idea is to get a bridge that is a close to the original as you can.

Good luck,

Terry

fixing that bridge will only help the value. make sure there aren't any problems with the plate underneath or the bracing.

remember also that those vintage pricing values are for guitars in excellent condition. yours could be fixed and made into a good player, but the dollar value will be a good bit less than what you quoted above.

Archived