Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339 Price Differences

Pman

I've been wanting to get an ES-339. I've noticed a $500 price difference between "satin" and "glossy" ES-339's on internet retail sites. I presume that otherwise they are exactly alike. Does anyone know if there are any other differences and what exactly makes for a $500 price difference for the finish?

Thanks.

Compare the specs.

I did this for the ES-339 myself this year. The Gibson site is very thorough with its listings. Be certain to look at everything.

I thought I had been careful but discovered (after buying) that the neck width of the 2015 Studio is slightly narrower near the top. Unlike most people here I actually prefer a little more neck surface area, so was a little disappointed. It is however a really tiny difference.

Look at neck details, shape, materials used, type of frets etc.

A lot of price difference is in the finish. Wood grain is graded with A's, with AAAA being the finest and most expensive. This is purely cosmetic of course. It wont make the guitar any better.

I've been wanting to get an ES-339. I've noticed a $500 price difference between "satin" and "glossy" ES-339's on internet retail sites. I presume that otherwise they are exactly alike. Does anyone know if there are any other differences and what exactly makes for a $500 price difference for the finish?

Thanks.

The gloss finish takes much more time to do, looks better IMO, and is more durable and can easily account fof the price difference.

Archived