Gibson Brands Forums

Old Girl Goes Electric

BluesKing777

In the interest of science [mellow] , I think I will buy a Fishy Rare Earth Humbucker next - quite expensive. I now have 3 soundhole pickups and they all sound different. (It is way easier to experiment with these instead of undersadddles!)

Though it has a battery and I don't really like having those hanging around......but this is all in the interests of staving off the buying a new guitar demons and getting more out of what I have.

BluesKing777.

Love your guitar! I'd love an L-0 of that vintage. But wow if TR Crandall gets those prices then that's some sales team they must have. I bought my '61 LG3 for under 2K in 2012 and a '52 J45 in 2012 in a trade with a shop where I figured my outlay was $4200 and I felt like I got too excited and let my emotions get the best of me. (I will forever keep the LG3, while the J45 was sold off in 2014 for- $3900 after getting impatient around month 11.)

I lived and I learned.

Love your guitar! I'd love an L-0 of that vintage. But wow if TR Crandall gets those prices then that's some sales team they must have. I bought my '61 LG3 for under 2K in 2012 and a '52 J45 in 2012 in a trade with a shop where I figured my outlay was $4200 and I felt like I got too excited and let my emotions get the best of me. (I will forever keep the LG3, while the J45 was sold off in 2014 for- $3900 after getting impatient around month 11.)

I lived and I learned.

Some of those guitars have been there for quite a while!

They hope for a dupe to pay online, no negotiations.

Or worse, an emotional guitarist that plays say, the LG3, and thinks...'oh oh..gotta have it!'

Though if you played my LG3, you would probably offer $25K... [blink] [blink] [blink] And I wouldn't sell.....

BluesKing777.

Now that LG-3 with that sound hole pickup is probably a little more versatile rig than the L-0. About two summers ago I got to see the Amy Helm Band. Her lead guitar player, Dan (can't remember his last name) completely blew me away with his banner LG-2. Scroll down here to the background picture of him under the "Tours" section to see him and his axe:

http://www.amyhelm.com/home/

Thanks for the link. There's even a video there with the band and that guitar in action. Didn't it rain.

Good stuff!

JB

Now that LG-3 with that sound hole pickup is probably a little more versatile rig than the L-0. About two summers ago I got to see the Amy Helm Band. Her lead guitar player, Dan (can't remember his last name) completely blew me away with his banner LG-2. Scroll down here to the background picture of him under the "Tours" section to see him and his axe:

http://www.amyhelm.com/home/

He could rock and roll his little acoustic guitar like nothing I've seen before, not to mention all the other genres these guys do. If you get a chance check them out. He completely sold me on the versatility of the sound hole pickup approach... and forget about shooting for true acoustic replication. It was all tone. As for sounding like Lightnin' with my own J-50, ain't no one soundin' like Lightnin' 'cept Lightnin' hisself.

I enjoyed that clip very much, thanks!

Dan has the Fishman Blackstack pumping as designed.

BluesKing777.

I have been playing the LG3 for a while through my Aura > TC Helicon > headphones...experimenting with the Blackstack pickup without annoying the whole street. It goes with the LG3 just perfectly! It has some grit on its own, but I added about 30% image in the Aura from a Gibson RJ image I downloaded. Not like an acoustic RJ at all, but more like Lightnin. So I went through some RJ tunes, guitar and vocals, and I could go with it live probably. Real nice, but not acoustic, really...something in between an RJ and a ES125?

I am glad to get the Blackstack going - I was beginning to think I had blown my cash when it didn't work out on other guitars as well as the LG3. Not a cheap pickup! Double the price here!

BluesKing777.

The chair in that room is just great light for guitar photos, so I took a couple of my Martin OM28 Marquis.

The guitar fairies are really watching with interest when I hover over this pristine babe with a screwdriver and the pickup, but you know, I don't want to alter the guitar with an undersaddle at this stage. The manual says to remove the pickup for travel and storage, so I have been taking them out after use - I have the soundhole Humidipaks to put back in anyway. I really can't see doing this if you had a gig every couple of nights.....cannot see sitting in the dark at the back of a stage putting a pickup in! Changing a broken string is bad enough when an audience is hovering around. [smile]

On the Aura pedal, I didn't get the correct image, but they had an OM42 image....sounds delectable.

OM28MPickup1_zpsbnnuhpev.jpg

OM28MPickup2_zpsr36gv7v7.jpg

OM28MPickup3_zpsei5kfj8v.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived