Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335TD Buzzing B String

DenUK

I hope you can advise me on why suddenly my B string has started to buzz! I purchased my new Memphis made es-335td on 1st September lst from Andertons Guitar Shop near Guilford and at the time of purchase it played perfect. Now however it has started to buzz on the B string (standard tuning. Is there anything i can do to stop the buzzing myself or do I need to have it looked at by the dealer? The shop is quite a way from my home so I was hoping I could sve myself the long journey. I do hope one of you can advise me!

First would be helpful to know when and where the string buzz appears. Do open string and fretted notes buzz as well? If applicable, which fret(s) is/are affected? Do softly picked notes buzz already, or does it significantly depend on how hard you pluck the string?

First would be helpful to know when and where the string buzz appears. Do open string and fretted notes buzz as well? If applicable, which fret(s) is/are affected? Do softly picked notes buzz already, or does it significantly depend on how hard you pluck the string?

Thank you for your reply. I notice it more when I play the B string open.it is still noticeable when played softly, and it appears as if on closer examination that the action on the B,string is lower than the high E and the G. all three of these strings appear to be much closer to the fret than the low E, the A and D strings. they are almost touching at the second fret on the B string and the G and E on either side are nearly as close. I can slide dunlop 46mm pick under the lower E and A strings at the 2nd fret with ease, but the same pick will not go under the high E and there is less room under the B string 2nd fret

This would call for a new nut. I once had this same problem with the E1st on a Custom Shop Les Paul after restringing just twice. Considering your guitar is nearly new, Andertons should handle this under warranty.

In my opinion it is best to bring the guitar to the dealer personally. Sorry for the long journey, but I had this trouble then, too. [crying]

This would call for a new nut. I once had this same problem with the E1st on a Custom Shop Les Paul after restringing just twice. Considering your guitar is nearly new, Andertons should handle this under warranty.

In my opinion it is best to bring the guitar to the dealer personally. Sorry for the long journey, but I had this trouble then, too. [crying]

Thanks for the advice, I will do as you say and talk to Andertons. Thanks again :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue with my new 355, although it was worse because it was both the B and E string. It seemed to happen almost immediately after I'd changed the strings.

Anyway it annoyed the hell out of me at the time as I pondered having to replace a badly cut nut, but when I looked closer I could see the neck needing adjusting as it was too straight. A couple of tweaks to the truss rod and it was all sorted and it now plays better than before the buzz started.

It's far to say that a new guitar needs to settle, it's a piece of wood at the end of the day and I've certainly found that my 355 is sensitive to temperature change more than any other guitar I own or have ever owned.

I'm not saying that the cause for your concern is the same as mine, I've heard many people complain about Gibson nuts, but sometimes a tweak to set-up is all it needs. I will likely need to do it again sometime soon too as it settles more and more.

Good luck with yours :)

Good advice as usual... [thumbup]

Another 2 or maybe 3 pence from personal experience

Guitars like the 335, acoustics and archtops are susceptible to temp/humidity etc

Any new guitar will take a varying amount of time to settle in and stabilise

Many owners of new guitars take them straight to a technician for a 'set-up'

Who pays for this can be a moot point... :blink:

Andertons are a reputable company... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Archived