Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Arch Top Acoustic Speculation

fromnabulax

In another thread it was mentioned that Epi may be considering launching a Masterbilt acoustic arch top based on some of the recent emails they have been bombarding me with. I figure the subject could use its own thread, so I'll start.

If Epihone issued a true acoustic archtop, and I mean one with zero electronics, I would certainly check it out. While not popular with the younger folks, as an almost 60 year old I really dig their unique feel and sound. Nothing can sound like an old country or blues acoustic guitar like a true Arch top. Just listen to those old Mother Maybelle Carter sides and you know what I mean.

The Broadway shows that Epiphone at least has the potential to manufacture and market a truly fine archtop at a reasonable price. Certainly at least in the same ballpark as Loar, and most definitely better than the Godins that I've tried out.

Decent archtop acoustics are a rare breed. I have a gorgeous non-cutaway Eastman AR804 with an oval sound hole that sounds wonderful, but that one's about 10 years old. Near as I can tell it hasn't been in production for some years.

I've got a funky Airline arch top acoustic from the early 1960s someone gufted me recently that even in its cheapness outclasses most of those being manufactured today. Though not exactly full of tone, when fingerpicked with a brass slide the monster sings like a robin.

I have yet to actually try the D'Angelico EX63 but I own their EXL1 with a floating pickup and it sounds great amplified as well as unplugged.

The best that I have is a 1938 Recording King M5 which was made in Kalamazoo by Gibson that can roar like an out of control diesel locomotive, but amazing as that one is, I am afraid to bring it out of the house!

I don't know that the market exists, but a quality Masterbilt archtop would certainly have the potential for being a great guitar!

I've had a Loar LH600 - all solid - spruce top hog neck solid maple back and sides and a Godin 5th Ave all laminate . Both spent too much time in their respective cases - both are now sold. I just prefer flat top acoustics and my AJ-45ME can sound quite jazzy anyway

If Epihone issued a true acoustic archtop, and I mean one with zero electronics, I would certainly check it out. While not popular with the younger folks, as an almost 60 year old I really dig their unique feel and sound.

Guess I'm in a similar category - turning 65 next year. In the '70s I went through many inexpensive acoustic archtops that I'd pick up at flea markets for anywhere from $10 to $40. This included a 1948 Gibson L-48 with a solid mahogany top, back, and sides. The back was flat & braced, just like a flat-top acoustic. It had a wonderful tone. L-48 specs changed drastically over the years, and later versions were often laminated.

Another favorite was a Gibson-made Wards model from the '30s, with a carved solid spruce top and X-bracing. It tonally was the most satisfying of all the archtops I came across in those early fixer-upper days.

Today, the only acoustic archtop I own is a recent issue Guild A-150b Savoy. It has a solid spruce top with X-bracing, and laminated maple back & sides. It includes a floating DeArmond single-coil pickup. At it's pricepoint, a rather unique guitar in the current market. It appears to have been reasonably successful, so it would seem that there could be room for niche offerings from Epiphone. One can only hope!

Archived