Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire Registry

MCK

Liystalander wrote: "0004 is a beauty, but the "stick on" MCK would piss me off! Does it even light up on the edge?"

Liystalander,

That's just one of those temporary protective plastic thingies (technical term) placed there primarily to clue the uninitiated and protect the plastic (FWIW, it says "Turn to C for Chameleon Tones"); you read it and lift it off (there's no adhesive). It's kind of like the protective film on the pickguard or the plastic protection on the back. With it on, yes, the MCK does light up around the edge; once removed, it lights up both edge and top. No need for alarm or anger! Peace!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And some of us have a tendency to leave those protective things in place as long as we can. Yes, you know who you are... Turn it over and look at the toggle switch cover. No escaping the scrutinizing eyes on the internet! :-)

I had the 004. You can see it in my avatar between the Page stoptail #002 and the Page W/Bigsby.I requested the low 004 number DF out of Atlanta Georgia. Didn't like the neck and desided to wait on the robot guitars until later. So I took it up the road to Atlantic City. I traded it for an SG. I liked it for the most part and thought it was a beauty. I must admit I miss it.

Liystalander wrote: "0004 is a beauty' date=' but the "stick on" MCK would piss me off! Does it even light up on the edge?"

Liystalander,

That's just one of those temporary protective plastic thingies (technical term) placed there primarily to clue the uninitiated and protect the plastic (FWIW, it says "Turn to C for Chameleon Tones"); you read it and lift it off (there's no adhesive). It's kind of like the protective film on the pickguard or the plastic protection on the back. With it on, yes, the MCK does light up around the edge; once removed, it lights up both edge and top. No need for alarm or anger! Peace![/quote']

Oh, I see [-X

Should have noticed that...

Anyways, I'm not angry at all, but if I got that guitar, and it had the outdated MCK, I would be annoyed! I wish I knew the S/N on mine. I'll let you guys know in a week or two when I receive it.

How do you guys deal with the Dark Fire wait? It's killing me!

Hi Liystalander,

Please, calmly, read my post again. There is no outdated MCK. DF shipped during and since January have featured the protective film label to clarify access to the chameleon tones and protect the finish during shipping. The MCK itself is the same as always; there has been no change and you won't receive a guitar with an "outdated" MCK, and neither will anyone else. It's just a piece of easily-removable plastic protective film for chrissake; it would probably fall off on its own if you didn't choose to remove it (but you can glue it on if you love it...grins)! It's not part of the MCK. Since you don't have a DF, I understand your confusion but, breathe, chill, take a walk on a beautiful Santa Barbara beach (write a song about it to play on your DF when it arrives; please share); you'll receive the same MCK as everyone else, and I guarantee you'll love your DF! Peace!

Hi Liystalander' date='

Please, calmly, read my post again. There is no outdated MCK. DF shipped during and since January have featured the protective film label to clarify access to the chameleon tones and protect the finish during shipping. The MCK itself is the same as always; there has been no change and you won't receive a guitar with an "outdated" MCK, and neither will anyone else. It's just a piece of easily-removable plastic protective film for chrissake; it would probably fall off on its own if you didn't choose to remove it (but you can glue it on if you love it...grins)! It's not part of the MCK. Since you don't have a DF, I understand your confusion but, breathe, chill, take a walk on a beautiful Santa Barbara beach (write a song about it to play on your DF when it arrives; please share); you'll receive the same MCK as everyone else, and I guarantee you'll love your DF! Peace![/quote']

Never mind, I think we keep misunderstanding each other. I thought that the really, really early ones, such as 004, 005, etc. had last generation MCKs. I guess I didn't take the time to look closer/read the sticker.

Elantric wrote:

"Seems you got the January '09 MCK "stick on label" too. "

So, I misunderstood and thought it was an MCK of inferior quality that Gibson used on its first Dark Fire. Good to hear Gibson wouldn't do that to you though! As for waiting for the DF, I can't wait! It's killing me!

Beaches don't have chameleon tones, or next-gen tuning technology :)

Peace!

I'm buried in the middle

"elantric---------------DF 0711-----Alto Music (Middletown, NY, USA)----------2008 Dec 15"

They shipped it to me after 5pm Dec 15, and I received it Dec 18

congrats on your Dark Fire!!

Happy Birthday!

Liystalander' date='

Congratulations on finally getting your Dark Fire, and Happy Birthday! I know you'll enjoy it very much! Photos?[/quote']

Thanks for the congratulations, and birthday wishes! I'm so glad I have it, and I love it already! I only had one problem with it: the toggle switch came unscrewed, and fell into the body. I put one picture in the gallery below. Luckily, they were able to fix it at Guitar Center today, and everything is perfect.

I have all of the pictures in this web gallery:

http://gallery.me.com/liystalander#100038

I'm buried in the middle

"elantric---------------DF 0711-----Alto Music (Middletown' date=' NY, USA)----------2008 Dec 15"

They shipped it to me after 5pm Dec 15, and I received it Dec 18

congrats on your Dark Fire!!

Happy Birthday![/quote']

Whoops! Sorry, I missed you in the list. ](*,)

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Oooh! That's beautiful, Liystalander! Photo #0869 really shows off the wood figure; what sort of lighting technique did you employ for that photograph? You've obtained a truly magnificent instrument; I,m glad GC fixed it for you promptly! Now, tell us about your sonic experiences?

Thanks, photonutalan1! For the photo, I am embarrassed to say that I just used the flash built into my Nikon D90, which was on automatic mode. I usually NEVER use automatic mode, but I was just looking for some quick pictures, and my iPhone didn't have the resolution, clarity, or "shutter" speed that I needed to get a decent image of the finish. (See image: "broken toggle.") I think any CAMERA will work, as long as it's not a cell phone camera. I think the most important thing is that you shoot from above. At least, that's what I did.

As for my "sonic experiences," I haven't played guitar very long. I started playing bass guitar about 1 and a half or 2 years ago, and I liked it. My parents got me a Rickenbacker 4003 (Jetglo) for Christmas after I had played for around 6 months, and it sparked my real "passion" for bass. In addition to learning to play better, I also became interested in recording. (I use Logic Studio.) Then, I found my current music teacher, who also used logic and was passionate about recording, and the "new age" of instruments and recording. He taught me how to use Apple's Logic, and how to play bass. He also showed me this midi interface that he had hooked up to an old Strat, and how he could use the Strat as a midi "keyboard" of sorts. It was amazing. After I began recording pieces, and developing my skills on the bass, I realized that as much as I loved the bass, it was boring by itself. Even adding drum loops, keyboard parts, and synth guitars got boring. I wanted to learn something "more versatile." That's when I picked up my first guitar, a used Fender Telecaster. I began learning to play, and then I heard about the Dark Fire, and what it could do. I knew about the robot guitar from the GOR, but it was the whole piezo, chameleon, and pickup system that really sold it to me. It would be ideal for my recordings and compositions. As my birthday came up, I convinced my mom to get me the Dark Fire, and the rest is history. (Or, lack there of, as I just got it yesterday.)

I hope this is what you were asking, and that I didn't just waste your time with a narcissistic monologue about myself ;)

On an off note, I want to thank all of the members of this forum for their kindness, support, and advice during my decision to purchase the Dark Fire, as well as helping to provide me with as much information humanly possible about it. Without you guys, I don't think I would have bought it.

Thanks again!! :)

Liystalander,

Thanks for the info, still, somehow, you did something differently in photo # 0869 (compare with #0870) than in the others; any thoughts?

Thanks also for the info and insight regarding your musical background and interests; that's very impressive! You've obviously had outstanding support from many different quarters!

You're fortunate to have such great parents; I'm sure you appreciate them. I'm glad they encourage your talents (and you certainly seem to have many)! FWIW: you're never wasting the time of anyone on this forum; we all love music, and we're all here to help one another. Please call on us anytime and we'll try our best to help; and please don't hesitate to share also! Congratulations and Happy Birthday again! All the best to you!

DF 0797' date=' purchased at a Guitar Center in Oxnard, California. I got it on my birthday, March 6, 2009.

Will post pics soon ;)

Elantric, why aren't you in the registry?[/quote']

List updated. Congratulations on your birthday & receiving your DF. What good timing!!!

Liystalander' date='

Thanks for the info, still, somehow, you did something differently in photo # 0869 (compare with #0870) than in the others; any thoughts?

Thanks also for the info and insight regarding your musical background and interests; that's very impressive! You've obviously had outstanding support from many different quarters!

You're fortunate to have such great parents; I'm sure you appreciate them. I'm glad they encourage your talents (and you certainly seem to have many)! FWIW: you're never wasting the time of anyone on this forum; we all love music, and we're all here to help one another. Please call on us anytime and we'll try our best to help; and please don't hesitate to share also! Congratulations and Happy Birthday again! All the best to you![/quote']

Thanks! As for the photo, the best I can say is to go to the page the photo is on: http://gallery.me.com/liystalander#100038/DSC_0869&bgcolor=black

Click anywhere on the picture to bring up the menu on the bottom, and hit the "i" button. It will show you my exact camera settings, that were stored by the camera as metadata.

Liystalander,

Thank you; that was extremely helpful (and revealing)! Photo 0869 (best) iso 800, 1/60 sec., f 3.7, 21mm, flash 31. Photo 0870 (soft, blurred, washed out) iso 1600, 1/8 sec., f 3.9, 24mm, flash 24. Photo 0869=higher shutter speed despite lower iso, a little more flash. Photo 0870=slow shutter speed (blurred) despite higher iso, slightly less flash. Conclusion: ambient light changed (more in 0869) (perhaps flash not allowed to charge fully between exposures), iso changed (less in 0869), camera zoomed slightly between exposures, no tripod used (camera shake due to slow shutter in 0870).

This is by no means meant to be a criticism of you or your photographic skills; please excuse me if it might seem that way. I just had to know and understand what the difference was, and you supplied me with the necessary information. Thanks!

No matter, 0869 is a great representation of your very beautiful new DF, and I appreciate your sharing it with us! You're a very fortunate fellow! May your new DF touch your soul every day of your life, and give you great pleasure! Thanks!

Archived