Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire Registry

MCK

Hi,

DF#1056 - had it for 3 weeks...it stopped charging after that and the breakout box started to make a weird buzzing sound. I think the battery went completely flat in the end - yellow dots on the MCK. So most probably it'll need a battery reset too. Great :-s

Currently back with Guitar Village in Farnham waiting for them to a replace a jack that apparently fails and is a 'known issue', so watch out people!

It came with a scratch on the headstock, a broken volume knob in bits in the case compartment and a tiny shard of clear plastic lodged under the scratchplate. Whoever QC'd it before it left Canada(?) should have been shot.

Pity when you buy it it comes buried in so much packaging you can't spot this kind of thing in the shop. Next time when I buy a £3k guitar I'll be sure to scrutinise it before it leaves the building. Come to think of it I'll have the shop open it up for me instead...

And what's with the neck being so rough in places? For a piece of mahogany it sure isn't as polished on the back as much as I thought it would be...

And don't get me started on the weight of the beast...swing that baby around on stage and you'll cause some serious damage!

Anyone else think that the manual was translated from Japanese by the way? Gibson make fine instruments but you guys need to hire better people to write up how to use the electronic stuff. Never had an instrument before where you had to be a member of mensa in order to understand how it was meant to operate. WTB video guides please =D>

Apart from all that though, it's gorgeous to look at and makes a wonderful noise.

Madgambler

CF Martin 00CX1AEBLACK (Electro-Accoustic)

Dark Fire Les Paul

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi!

I just picked up my DF on 01/02/2010. I kinda like the symmetrical nature of that date. I'm now waiting for my RIP to show up from Gibson, phoned in for it earlier this week. I had looked at this guitar in mid '09, but bought an '08 standard back then. glad i waited, i got this one for a song...

impressions so far: love the power tuning, it spoils ya. i've also been re-reading the manual a lot, trying to understand the options and features available. it was a trip re-stringing, that's for sure.

i'm looking forward to recording, i'm a mac/logic guy so i am excited to see what i come up with when i plug in digitally. reading about guitar rig, it looks like a playground for ideas too.

as far as the analog stuff goes: this is my first guitar with a P90 in it. i was floored when i plugged into my little princeton amp, and kicked it up. wow! i'm thinking about putting a duncan phat cat in one of my other guitars now too.. [cool]

looking forward to learning more, i am going back through all the old posts here now.

cheers!

Don

• 9 months later...

Hi cthulhu

Yes we have all been waiting ages for spare parts.

Battery was available early in the year (before floods)

Hex cable only thing at the moment at online store thou.....

I'm sure Gibson know as we have all been trying....HOPE SOON

You might like to venture here...Lots of great info [thumbup]

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?action=forum#c1

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived