Gibson Brands Forums

A Day in the Life

QuestionMark

Here's a link to a YouTube audio/video of me playing "A Day in the Life" on my 1965 Gibson 125TC. I know its an electric guitar, but I normally play acoustic guitar and post on the Acoustic forum...plus, with it having a P90 pickup on it and being a hollow body (and so many acoustics having pickups these days), it really is the same to play it. I'm running it through an Ibanez Acoustic Amp with its "chorus" effect turned on. Hope y'all enjoy. (ps. For the first time in my life, I actually also posted to the Electric link in this forum with a similar link. Whoa! Am I becoming an electric guitar player now? To be honest, I play 'em both the same way and even have a wound third string on my 125!)

A Day in the Life by "Jazzman" Jeff

QM (aka: Jazzman Jeff)

Thanks for the positive comments. A good thing that I really like about this forum is it actually has true musicians on it who understand and appreciate guitar music. Comments from you like you gave are appreciated as I know you know music and guitarplaying as a guitarist yourself. Regarding your comment about my not straying to the dark side...no fear...Pete Seeger won't be needing to yank out my electric guitar cord at a folk fest.

QM/Jazzman Jeff

Excellent observation in my opinion. I actually normally do play it on one of my dreadnaught/jumbo sized acoustics ('72 SJ, '56 F79-Texan, '94 Gospel Reissue) when I'm out gigging as well as when I've been practicing it. Your observaton is excellent in my opinion as a number of people often think only certain kinds of music can be played on certain styles of guitars...when they're all the same instrument really (although they all do have different feels to 'em as well as different images.) I find hollowbody electrics with P90's don't sound that much different than an acoustic using a magnetic soundhole pickup. That's a good thing in my opinion. The chorus/tremelo effect on the recording, of course, is from the amp (an acoustic amp as I mentioned)...not the guitar. And, as Santana always says...the tone is in the fingers. (Of course, solid body guitars have a different sound from an acoustic...but, they can be played the same way.) When I play the song you heard with one of my acoustics plugged in and the amp's chorus/tremelo effect turned on.. it sounds pretty similar as when played through the 125 that you heard.

Archived