Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrade from my Epiphone LP Special II

E. Ingraham

Hey guys,

I got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II electric guitar a few years back, when I first started to get into playing electric guitar. I've played guitar for about 7 years now, (I'm 15). I have kind of grown out of the guitar, so I was thinking about putting some nice pickups and fixing it up a little bit, but it seems like it wouldn't really be worth it. Do you agree? And if I was to get a new guitar, what would be the next step up, to give me more options for my sound and learning new techniques? I've been looking at the Epiphone LP Studio, is that a good one?? I have a pretty limited budget, I don't really want to go over $200 at the ABSOLUTE most. I know that's not much to work with, but any ideas? Thanks.

Hey guys,

I got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II electric guitar a few years back, when I first started to get into playing electric guitar. I've played guitar for about 7 years now, (I'm 15). I have kind of grown out of the guitar, so I was thinking about putting some nice pickups and fixing it up a little bit, but it seems like it wouldn't really be worth it. Do you agree? And if I was to get a new guitar, what would be the next step up, to give me more options for my sound and learning new techniques? I've been looking at the Epiphone LP Studio, is that a good one?? I have a pretty limited budget, I don't really want to go over $200 at the ABSOLUTE most. I know that's not much to work with, but any ideas? Thanks.

hi! in regards to upgrading the Special II. personally, I think if you really like it and want to hot rod it; there's nothing wrong with doing so. just keep all of the stuff you take out of it just in case you sell it later. if you enjoy playing it keep playing it.

as far as the LP Studio...I've owned a couple and they are a great bare bones les paul. I think the next step up from a Special II would be a Les Paul 100. it too has a bolt on neck like the special but a carved top and volume and tone controls for each pickup. I've seen some Studios on Ebay for a little over 200 but you could possibly take your money and the Special II and trade up to one. Definitely try a few out and see what fits you best. don't forget the sales a lot of stores have after Christmas. you may be able to get a great deal.

Good luck on your search!

Okay...

In terms of age, I've got 55 years on you. <grin>

But the principles on what we here call "G.A.S." (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is the same at any age.

Personally, yeah, you can find an upgrade. But for $200... Not much. The Epi SG special is roughly in that category but...

I've a batch of guitars to the point that at my age, and after a stroke messed up my left hand technique I've given away several and plan to give away more.

But a couple of points here:

1. Your two-pup guitar is pretty decent for a solidbody. Yeah, you can mess with bits and pieces, but...

2. You didn't mention what amp you're using. A new Fender Mustang amp has a lot of "stuff" on it for different sounds. A 40-watter is roughly $200.

3. When it comes to new and improved technique (and you don't say how and what you're playing now), you can't beat watching folks playing on YouTube. Period.

... What would I do?

1. Consider what strings I'm using and whether they fit what I want to play in terms of music and style for the next year. For example, some "heavy" players will use heavier strings, but detune so 'stedda EADGBE, it's DBCFAD... I wear 8-38 on my old Guild SG "clone" and have since it was new. It's played everything from country rock to jazz. If I'm using a flatpick, it's very light and I play with a very light touch more horizontally across the strings, strumming or lead. There's a big difference both in tone and technique to heavy vs. light strings, and you may want or need a different setup. Too, in my first rock band (think Rolling Stones for general sound from guitars), flatwounds were being used for several reasons of technique, regardless of a duller sound on the wound strings.

2. As far as "look" of the guitar you have, it's not so expensive one should be too concerned even about a paint job on the body. Personally I'd leave the neck alone if painting the body, though.

3. A setup on any guitar with the strings and technique you plan to use is probably the best money spent.

4... #3 really is the answer. What and how are you playing now, and what do you hope to play and how do you want to grow in style and improve in technique?

Why did I write this stuff this way? ......... I'm mostly a fingerpicker. I made conscious goals for fingerpicking technique and left hand technique each time when I went from simple folkie fingerpicking into classical; then into country rock, into "cowboy" (I live in cowboy country) then to jazz. All other changes to the guitar were strings, setup and pup settings; hardware changes only came with occasional pedals - but even using a straight (no effects) amp, tone settings can be a huge deal.

m

Hey as to your question about modding the Special II, I think it's definitely worth it! I just finished modding my Special II and it sounds amazing, better than another guitar I would of gotten for $300-$700 in value. I did research got the components and swapped everything out.

image.jpeg

I can't say I regret investing in my Special II

I think Andy's photo tells the story my way. Note the nice amp.

With a very short budget, I think an amp is a top priority, depending on quality of the one you have. But note we all seem to agree that your lp special is essentially a quite decent instrument, either as is or with various mods.

m

E.,

Do you mean that you've outgrown playing and you're trying to respark your interest? If so, I would highly recommend spending about $150 on the GC Used boards or eBay and use the other $50 to pay for a pro setup. I just picked up a VERY nice LP Special I with P90's (!) for $99 from GC with free 2-day shipping as a present to myself, so keep an eye on them, Sweetwater, and your local stores for sales and find one that makes your eyes pop. I peeked over at the boards and only looking at Epi they've got some nice stuff under $150. SG, Explorer, S-Series strats (which I do adore), and a metric ton of LP variations. I'm looking at a Sunburst LP 100 right now for $149 that's just beautiful. The one that makes me want to apply for the credit card, though, is the 4-knob Goth LP for $149. I LOVE the look of that thing, and they sound fantastic.

Either way, I wish you tons of luck and hope you find what gets you cranking the tunes out again!

I have a 15 yo nephew. if he asked me this i reckon i'd actually suggest a squier strat [scared] - it would offer that extended range of sounds and force some expansion of technique as well as provide exposure to different scale length, board radius, and the dreaded vibrato system... AND...because it would be quite different, in time it would probably rekindle interest in the Epi again because you'd pick that up again when wanting a change from the Strat and vice-versa.

One of my first electrics was an Epi LP Special II. Bought it from a friend in 1996 who had bought it new that same year, IIRC. I put Gibson P94's and a Bigsby B5 in it within the first year. It's a great little guitar! Since they have nearly no resale value, I wouldn't bother trading it in or selling it. Just upgrade it.

Archived