Gibson Brands Forums

Safe and SOUND in Boston (project up-date)

daveinspain

Just got a call from Mom.... My Custom Shop Seymour Duncan Jimmy Page pupps arrived at her house so I'll be picking them up in a couple of weeks.... All that's left to get are the cream colored pick up rings, selector switch and input jack cover.... Not sure if I'm gonna go with a pick guard or not yet. This is what I got so far; 2006 Les Paul VM body and neck (refinish in progress), late 60's to 70's double line double ring Gibson tuners, nickel tunematic bridge and stop bar, Seymour Duncan Custom Shop JP humbuckers with nickel covers, amber bell knobs, RS Guitarworks JP push pull coil split and phase reverse electronics Kit with aged bumble bee caps. So maybe by Spring my Frankin Les Paul will be done.... =D>

Cool! What finish are you going to go with? (nitro? and what color?)

Are you buying gibson plastic or generic plastic? Gibson plastic is a little too dark lately IMO, it used to resemble vintage white, now its more like "salsa golf" ("golf sauce") dont know if you have that in spain or in the states... very common here in south A.

I hope you post pics as soon as you start finishing her man...

Cool! What finish are you going to go with? (nitro? and what color?)

Are you buying gibson plastic or generic plastic? Gibson plastic is a little too dark lately IMO' date=' it used to resemble vintage white, now its more like "salsa golf" ("golf sauce") dont know if you have that in spain or in the states... very common here in south A.

I hope you post pics as soon as you start finishing her man... [/quote']

The finish is the part I am most worried about... I'm doing it gold top but not as in a normal gold top... I'm having the top covered in gold leaf. I was hesitant to do it at first because it might come out too flashy or like a bling guitar which I don't want... I want it to stand out and be different but not hurt your eyes.... A real pro is doing the leafing and has sent me pics of it with the leafing on already. This Monday she is going to come by my studio with the guitar and I will decide whether to leave it as is or have her age the gold leafing to tone it down a bit.... The rest of the guitar will be the original faded brown vintage mahogany. I plan on doing a Nitro finish over the whole thing though before final assembly.

Archived