Gibson Brands Forums

What's It Worth

jheath

Hello Gibson gurus. I hope this is allowed, I have a Gibson acoustic that I'd like to sell (to support another Gibson purchase of course) and I'm just trying to get an idea of a fair asking price. It's a Hummingbird, '09 build so I believe it's a Modern Classic with the LR Baggs Element system. Comes with the blue plush lined case. Basically no play wear. A couple of very small knicks in the top, a couple of lacquer checks. I had it set up professionally when purchased a couple of years ago and it plays beautiful, action is great. Ebay prices are all well north of $2000 but I find that hard to believe. I am in Canada, but am thinking I'll sell it into the US as our dollar is brutal right now and the guitar I want to purchase would be coming from stateside. If any other info is needed, please let me know. Can post pics as well if it'll help. Thanks!

Such questions are not a problem..

usually, looking at Ebay completed auctions are just about your best ball park for selling. So if your seeing similar HB's in the +2k price range as "sold", I think you're ok to assume yours is able to fetch around the same barring any problems or cosmetics.

Such questions are not a problem..

usually, looking at Ebay completed auctions are just about your best ball park for selling. So if your seeing similar HB's in the +2k price range as "sold", I think you're ok to assume yours is able to fetch around the same barring any problems or cosmetics.

Thanks, that's a great idea, and I didn't know you could do that to be honest. Looks like most are selling for close to $2000 shipped so I suppose that's where I'll aim.

For those keeping score: Finally, someone who asked the Forum for advice and then followed it:

jheaths post in the trading post.

Note that he writes in his ad "Only interested in a J45 TV on trade or outright sale"

The ad immediately below jheaths is from our own brilliant horse trader Dave F:

Dave F's J45 TV

Nice work gentlemen, nice work.eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

(And now I'm drooling for Dave's guitar....)

For those keeping score: Finally, someone who asked the Forum for advice and then followed it:

jheaths post in the trading post.

Note that he writes in his ad "Only interested in a J45 TV on trade or outright sale"

The ad immediately below jheaths is from our own brilliant horse trader Dave F:

Dave F's J45 TV

Nice work gentlemen, nice work.eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

(And now I'm drooling for Dave's guitar....)

You caught me Alpinist. I'm trying to deal my Hummingbird (check the trading post!) for Dave's TV. Going up today on Evil Bay as well.

Thanks, that's a great idea, and I didn't know you could do that to be honest. Looks like most are selling for close to $2000 shipped so I suppose that's where I'll aim.

yea, you just need to be a registered eBayer, and logged in. Then you can filter the searches, and one option is (I think) "sold" or "completed" listings.

Basically you just want to see what a similar item actually sold for, not what the listing was or the reserve which are often not entirely relevant.

your only other option is the Kelly Blue Book, but that's usually low ball totals.

yea, you just need to be a registered eBayer, and logged in. Then you can filter the searches, and one option is (I think) "sold" or "completed" listings.

Basically you just want to see what a similar item actually sold for, not what the listing was or the reserve which are often not entirely relevant.

your only other option is the Kelly Blue Book, but that's usually low ball totals.

Thanks. I got on yesterday to check it out. Appreciate the tips.

Archived