Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone les paul standard, fake or real?

gcv13

I don’t claim to be an expert, but I’ve never come across any “Masterbilt” Epiphone Les Paul models before. I would assume someone placed that there after the fact, though not sure why.

The serial number indicates it was made in China at the Gibson/QuingDao factory in 2008.

Other than that, are there any reasons why you suspect it’s not “real”? Keep in mind, if a person was going to fake a guitar, why would they fake an Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Wouldn’t they just go ahead and make it a Gibson or at least a Epiphone Tribute Plus or something of more significant monetary value? Seems legit to me.

yeah, the only odd thing about this is the Epiphone Masterbilt sticker. Epiphone doesn't make a "Masterbilt" Les Paul. Serial number checks out though. for some odd reason people DO fake Epiphones

I would assume someone placed that there after the fact, though not sure why.

Right, somebody just stuck that on there. A shot of the front of the headstock would be nice. Other than that, looks like a nice burst flametop.

Right, somebody just stuck that on there. A shot of the front of the headstock would be nice. Other than that, looks like a nice burst flametop.

I agree, would be helpful to see the front of the headstock, Epiphone logo, as well.

You can also take one (or both) pick ups out and see what's on them, too.

Seems legit to me, though. And if she ain't, she's pretty. So how does she sound/play?

Archived