Gibson Brands Forums

What should I call this modded ES-125 with 2 pickups?

brrobert

ES-125D? Thought you guys might appreciate this guitar....

Its a 1948 ES-125. We were able to date it by the full body, mahogany top, clear knobs and flat pole pieces. When I got it, there had been some mods-- most notably, someone refinished the headstock (to add an inlaid "Gibson"), the tailpiece, bridge and tuners were unoriginal and there had been a plastic plate added over the input jack area-- probably a repair.

Because of all the mods, I didn't feel bad about adding a couple myself. I sent the neck P-90 to Jason Lollar and he made a matching pickup for the bridge, and I added a Bigsby. I'm really happy with the result and, yes, it sounds perfect! And, of course, the neck is unbelievable.

I play mostly surf & spy/lounge/twang/bossa nova type stuff, and I doubt that I could find a better guitar for it. I always wanted a Scotty Moore type guitar but, with those prices, it wasn't realistic. This fits the bill and it can be done for well under $1500.

ES125%20027.jpg

ES125%20028.jpg

Here's a "before" shot:

variousguitars%20002.jpg

The Lollar sounds great' date=' although I seldom use the bridge position. I really like the middle position-- he really knows how to make a P-90 and blended the two pickups real well.[/quote']

Hey brrobert--

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to do with my '52 ES-125. Am I right that you have it wired Telecaster style (i.e., one set of controls for both pickups)? Did you need to cut the body to place the bridge pickup, or is there enough room in the spacer to cover the depth of the Lollar? Did you do the work yourself, or did you take it someplace to have them do the removal and installations?

I truly cannot tell you how excited I was to see these pictures. What was the turnaround time for Lollar to receive your neck pickup, build the new bridge pickup, and ship them both to you? It's hard to tell from your photo: did you send him an old P-90 cover for the pickup, or did he just put it in one of his standard model dogear covers?

Any comments you can offer on the process here would be much appreciated!

Ignatius

P.S.--As a former Milwaukeean who misses the place very much now that I'm in Chicagoland, I will be more than happy to take my ES-125 to the same place that did your work. I love an excuse to run up to Milwaukee, especially if I can improve on my already-favorite guitar. I bought my ES-125 at Wade's on Oakland Avenue back in the mid-'90s, and it's been my main guitar ever since.

Hi Ignatius:

The work was done at Libertyville Music in Libertyville, IL... not far from Lake Forest. Ask for Matt.

I'm pretty sure that they had to cut into the guitar for the bridge pickup. It is wired telecaster style. Libertyville Music did all the work.

Lollar's turn around time was less than a month. I sent him the original pick up so that he could match the bridge pick up to it. The pick up covers aren't a perfect match. When I spoke to Lollar, he said that the covers from the late 40's are more rounded than later models, and his covers are late 50's type. He would be able to tell you more. Lollar will age the cover if you ask... Libertyville Music aged it even more. The magnets were very new looking, and Libertyville aged those, too.

My original pickup has flat pole pieces. That was an option for the Lollar bridge but I decided against it, as I thought it would afford more tonal options. In retrospect, I wish that I had gone with the flat pole pieces. You'll need a riser for the bridge. Lollar will make one, but I had Libertyville make mine.

Let me know how yours turns out!

Bob

PS I love Wade's. They've done all the work on my SG, and I got my Jazzmaster there. Great store.

Archived