Gibson Brands Forums

gibson sg too bright , too fat

johncart

i have an mid 90's epiphone 400sg. that i believe has alnico pups..warm as hell and i love it....I also have a 2006 gibson sg faded (special i think) and the gibson is so much more brighter that I like the epi better. Does the gibson have alnico pups? (both have humbuckers) and if it does, is that the problem the pups or is it the nut and bridge need to be changed to be the same as the epi?...question two....can i shave d the neck down to match the taper of my gibson lp std without running into the truss rod channel or weakening the neck too much? hope you can give me an answer...thanx in advance

post-18610-022478100 1457823696_thumb.jpgpost-18610-007375100 1457824031_thumb.jpg

Your SG guitars either should have AlNiCo-loaded pickups.

I think it's the sound of the entire guitars. The softer Epiphone timber species support presence less, even with pickups of same type and build. The sonic differences between the Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul guitars of mine with Gibson '57 pickups say just that.

Can you please describe what you mean exactly when saying "too bright, too fat"?

Archived