Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone g-400 Custom

AB316

Hello everyone! As you can probably tell, I am new here. I come seeking some expertise and advice about a guitar I just purchased second hand online. It's a g-400 custom in black

xqufckomygftcqtid9z5.jpg

What I am hoping to do with it is modify it to make it look like the black and white SG Custom occasionally used by Angus Young, like this

621e99c2f5d4cc05bd7b7d06c7e777e5.jpg

So, I am planning on swapping out the stock pick ups when I get all the necessary parts, but obviously I will have to remove the middle pickup and install a full bat wing pickgaurd. Is there anything I should be wary of in terms of how the pickups are wired to the toggle switch and the pots? It also has three volume and one tone, as opposed to the traditional 2 volume 2 tone set up. Would there be a way to "convert" the third volume pot to a tone pot for one of the other pickups? I am fairly young so this will be my first DIY project but I have been playing for 10 years so I have a an understanding of how everything works but this is obviously a bit of a unique situation.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated! (Even if it's just to tell me I'm batty)

It would be much less time and expense to just leave this guitar as is and buy a 2 pickup G-400 with the 1966 larger pickguard --- then you'd only have to replace the pickguard with a white one. And by all means play the stock pickups for a while before replacing them --- you may decide they don't need replacing.

Hello AB316, and welcome here. [thumbup]

Congrats on your nice catch! [love] I'm completely with Parabar and would leave her as is. Find yourself another one close to Angus' guitar. In my opinion this is the best solution possible.

Have fun rocking your new baby stock! [biggrin]

It's your guitar. Do with it what you will. It does seem kind of silly to buy a 3 pick up custom and remove the middle pickup but who am i to say what you want to do.

Enjoy. My G400 has its stock pickups and they sound just fine with my amp.

Archived