Gibson Brands Forums

What finally cured your G.A.S?

lammataohc

Ironically' date=' I think that the amount of GAS a person experiences is directly related to the amount of time they spend on guitar-related internet forums.[/quote']

+1 on this thought.

Absolutely .......everyone here is a very bad influence and I blame it entirely on you all !!!

I just want to say that if you aren't happy with the music you are making on the guitar you currently own......a new guitar ain't going to cure that. I think the first couple guitar acquisitions I made had a slight tinge of this ....that the new super ultra way cool guitar was going to make me sound better. It was still "My Playing" ...just on a better sounding instrument.

Just think about all the great music that has been performed and recorded on Kay or Harmony or Silvertone guitars bought for a few bucks out of the Sears Catalog back in the day.

a lack of money cured my GAS...temporarily' date=' though, I'm sure. I've had the roughest time you could imagine in the last few months, I lost my deal, my fiancée and I lost our flat, had my phone cut off etc, all thanks to the vagaries of the music industry and the effect that the parlous state of the UK economy has had on it.

So, in such a climate, you have to bear down and let GAS go...my SJ200, Hummingbird and wee Guild parlour are the tools of my trade for writing, recording and gigging, so they must stay, but all the other 'luxury' guitar acquisitions such as my J45, B15 etc have had to go.

I just know that when I get back on my feet financially I'll be off sniffing around for a Dove, though! The one I got from Gibson as part of my endorsement deal went to my bandmate who it suits more, but I am GASing for another one ;-)[/quote']

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Jinder. I got laid off a little over 2 weeks ago. We'll bounce back, as you know. Hell, maybe there's a song or two in there somewhere. Two ideas I had earlier are now more real and I'm in that emotional space, so they're starting to really come together. Hang in there, man!

Hey Jinder' date=' sorry to hear about the setbacks. Have been following your career with interest and some envy. I got laid off recently myself. Kinda puts a crimp in plans for guitar acquisition. There's a silver lining for me - I was miserable and had a mean boss who was riding me every day for months. In the end it was quite a relief to learn they were giving me the push. There is going to be a year or two of economic freefall where we're going to have to be creative, at times accept any port in a storm, and reinvent ourselves.[/quote']

Hey Jerry, I got laid off, too. A little over two weeks ago. In my case, I loved the job and the company, but work is just drying up. the number of people laid off so far is in the three digits, with more to come. I'm with you on being creative and reinventing ourselves. I'm looking at some things that I've wanted to do for a long time. There might be some possibilities there, but might require sacrifices in terms of compensation and having to move. But I like change. Hang in there, buddy.

Archived