Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups and Toggle swich

Julian00

I just received my Les Paul beautiful girl. Question, shouldn't both pickups work at the same time with volume adjustment?

Both pickups are "on" if and only if the sector toggle switch is in the middle position. If it is "up" then the neck pickup is on and bridge is off and if it is "down" the bridge pickup is on and the neck is off.

Volume and tone controls work to their individual pickups. So if you have the selector switch in the middle and want to balance tone and volume (to taste) you have to adjust all four pots.

In addition to the above post, might be worth noting that when in the middle position (both pups), if the volume is ALL the way down on one , there won't be any sound. There has to be at least a little "up" on both volumes to get sound when in the middle position. It's kinda a "quirk" in the system.

Pointing that out because many mistake that for a bad switch or loose wiring.

I just received my Les Paul beautiful girl. Question, shouldn't both pickups work at the same time with volume adjustment?

Then I have a problem. When I put the toggle in the middle I still only get one pickup. Is it possible their could be a problem with the guitar cord?

In addition to the above post, might be worth noting that when in the middle position (both pups), if the volume is ALL the way down on one , there won't be any sound. There has to be at least a little "up" on both volumes to get sound when in the middle position. It's kinda a "quirk" in the system.

Pointing that out because many mistake that for a bad switch or loose wiring.

So U are saying with the toggle in the middle U are unable too choose one pickup over the other? And actually it makes sense if you stop and think about it. I will check again but I think I tried it and changed tone on one and the other and got nothing. The guitar I sent back was an SG G 400 PRO in fact I returned two of them. NO big deal, I like the Les Paul standard better. Which of the two would be your pick? Thanks 4 the help.

Blending the sounds of both the pickups will work best with varying volumes starting from similar control positions. When they are set very differently, the control with the lower setting mainly tends to short out the other pickup's signal.

You can hear the effect by comparing the sonic results of all three toggle switch positions at different control settings.

Both pickups are "on" if and only if the sector toggle switch is in the middle position. If it is "up" then the neck pickup is on and bridge is off and if it is "down" the bridge pickup is on and the neck is off.

Volume and tone controls work to their individual pickups. So if you have the selector switch in the middle and want to balance tone and volume (to taste) you have to adjust all four pots.

Thank U for the help.

Thank U for your help.

Totally logical that both pickups must be engaged as it were ... otherwise why on earth would you want to select a position where both pickups could be heard at the same time. I think the idea is to get the balance between the two before you switch over the central position then fine tune the final sound you want eg. bit more bridge or visa versa.

Then I have a problem. When I put the toggle in the middle I still only get one pickup. Is it possible their could be a problem with the guitar cord?.re......Googla.

Bit confused. You're saying one of the two volume pots don't do sh-t when the pickup toggle is in the middle..?

Other than that, er, what everyone else said!

If you're new to guitars, have a friend or a tech in a store look at it if you're wondering if there's something wrong with the wiring. Better safe than sorry. It takes them two seconds, literally.

Which one of the two guitars would be my pick? The Les Paul, preferably a PlusTop Pro. No dis to the SG players; it's just not for me.

Oh, and by the way: it's NEVER the cord.

Happy playing!

Archived