Gibson Brands Forums

Speakers & Tubes

carranoj25

Hey guys, so building off the Rhythm Guitar Rig thread I started recently, I had brought my JCM 800 to rehearsal and it sounded really nice. However, I was using the studios cabinet which had Vintage 75 speakers in it. I believe mine has 25 Watt Greenbacks which I do not really like the sound of to be honest. Especially after playing through the 75's. My head also uses EL34's for tubes and I would like to make the switch to 6550's unless you guys suggest something else. So I am all ear. In terms of speakers and tubes because I know there are many brands out there, where do I look first? What am I looking for ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am not familiar with "vintage 75" speakers, but the celestian G12T-75 was stock with the JCM-800 back in it's time.

The Greenbacks are supposed to be a better sounding speaker, as is the EL-34 the more desirable tube over the 6550. But that's the thing, you can't always go by others opinion, the internet or magazines. Only way to REALLY know is to try them yourself, if you can.

Which in this case, you seem to have done. You prefer one speaker over the other. (Although, might be the environment or the room). 2x12 vs 4x12?

Buying and trying speakers can get REAL expensive. So any opportunity to try some is a good. Friends cabinet/amps, cabs in shops. If you can find out exactly what these "vintage 75" speakers are, that would give you the option of buying something you know is what you like. But also, you might try others too if you can. Another worth trying is the "Vintage 30".

Don't be in a hurry, speakers and tubes are THE major consideration with any amp.

For tubes, changing from EL-34 to 6550 requires a slight mod besides just biasing.

Main difference, is the EL-34 gives more crunch and roar, and the 6550 more fat and chug. The 6550 won't actually break up with REAL output tube/speaker distortion, but the EL-34 will, and it's glorious when it does. But it's doubtful you are able to play that loud. So in PRACTICE, when using pre-amp distortion or pedals, the 6550 distortion sounds can be more "sonic" and metallic, while the EL-34 distortion sounds more colorful and swirly.

There are different types and brands of EL-34, all worth trying. While they don't sound all that great if they aren't biased well, you CAN get an idea. So long as the plates don't glow red, there is no damage being done. Eventually, you get better at judging if you are hearing underbiased/overbiased tubes, different tube sounds, and so on. If you find a tube you thing sounds better, and get it biased properly, it's worth it so long as you ENJOY the ride.

Other than that, the only thing I could add is I preferred the Svetlana EL-34's in the Marshall. The Chinese ones weren't as bad as their rep, better than the Sovtek at the time. I haven't tried any of the newer reissues available now.

...What am I looking for ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you don't know what you are looking for nobody else does.

You seem to be looking for approved things to do just for the sake of doing them.

Stop reading the internet, stop comparing your stuff to everyone else's stuff and what they do to their stuff. Get a few, say, 300 gigs under yer Sansabelt, then worry about fixing whatever you think is wrong with what you hear.

If you can't make a decent Les Paul into that amp sound good you got bigger problems than speakers and tubes.

That would be my advice to you. Go play.

rct

If you don't know what you are looking for nobody else does.

You seem to be looking for approved things to do just for the sake of doing them.

Stop reading the internet, stop comparing your stuff to everyone else's stuff and what they do to their stuff. Get a few, say, 300 gigs under yer Sansabelt, then worry about fixing whatever you think is wrong with what you hear.

If you can't make a decent Les Paul into that amp sound good you got bigger problems than speakers and tubes.

That would be my advice to you. Go play.

rct

Listen to RCT. This is it right here. This was the reason I quit reading guitar magazines many many years ago. I kept convincing myself, "that's what I need, that's how I need to sound". I finally realized almost every page I was reminded of how I don't want to sound, what I don't want to play & how I don't want to look.

That being said, it never really ends, wondering, changing, tweaking your sound. always looking for something else. I personally love the sound of greenbacks, but what is perceived as "good tone", and "that sound" is a personal & subjective thing.

Archived