Gibson Brands Forums

57's vs 490 498

Roach

well i was only a couple hundred short of getting a standard, if i waited a week i could have got a standard but, i didnt as i said i was buying a guitar that day no matter what . My mind was set on a les paul i knew well and good i had enough for a studio. Glad I did NOT get a standard after all, due to the lighter weight of the studio, better on me back. Was hoping to find a white one with black pickguard, if i was going to get a studio. They had one!! but it was epiphone so i said no to that. I got the 2015 studio. my avatar is the pic of it.

Yes i am keeping the guitar for sure. I also had in mind that i will eventually get a custom, should i improve enough to justify it. Also I paid a fair amount for better tuners with 21:1 ratio and for my setup. Also color changes to pickup rings, switch cover and ring. I am going to put a pickguard on it too, i was disappointed it didnt have one.

I think the pick up problem is just a matter of my preference for the way my 2000 model with the 490/498's sounded when i first got it, before the 498 went bad. So for now im going to use both pickups with all coils blasting. Eventually Ill probably get a set of 490/498's and maybe an extra 498 for the 2000 i still have.

My link

All in all I think your Studio is nice, I kinda like it, especially with the pick-up set. Had I been looking for a Studio yours has the appointments I would lean toward. You could have did worse on impulse and wound up with a LP copy or worse. You got a real LP. You didn't do too bad in fact pretty good.

Like you said weight chambered, light, Studio neck, and 57s. Its a winner. A stripped down version of the bling of a Standard, a PRS look so to speak. Classic winner!!!

Man you need to plug that beast in a get the sand jumping from the high volume up on the roof. [thumbup]

What amp you playing through and song you working on?

All in all I think your Studio is nice, I kinda like it, especially with the pick-up set. Had I been looking for a Studio yours has the appointments I would lean toward. You could have did worse on impulse and wound up with a LP copy or worse. You got a real LP. You didn't do too bad in fact pretty good.

Like you said weight chambered, light, Studio neck, and 57s. Its a winner. A stripped down version of the bling of a Standard, a PRS look so to speak. Classic winner!!!

Man you need to plug that beast in a get the sand jumping from the high volume up on the roof. [thumbup]

What amp you playing through and song you working on?

I know better than to have bought a copy. I also knew it had to be an upgrade from my 2000 special w/hums, so picking out a quality REAL gibson usa les paul was never going to be an issue but thx...

Mostly i am using a danelectro HT50, in a Nifty Fifty cab, its the original honey tone before they changed the name to nifty fifty, same amp really . it is NOT the mini amp, though i own one of those too.

looks like THIS (should be linked)

But i am not using the speaker, for one i dont want my neighbors to know i have this gear and it has to be a bit too loud to sound good. So i use a focusrite scarlette solo to my pc and I just mess with guitar trax pro 3 a little, usually i just play and use headphones without recording. I am considering getting something like guitar rig but idk. Sometimes i use an rp-50.

Song i am working on? well...mostly write my own rhythms i am not new to guitar but i am. so I got a long way to go, however i did just learn how to play black dog led zeplin, all but the solo where i just decided to come back to that when i am more capable. and i never really knew it was so fast...heehee i play it a bit slower for now

But i am not using the speaker, for one i dont want my neighbors to know i have this gear and it has to be a bit too loud to sound good. So i use a focusrite scarlette solo to my pc and I just mess with guitar trax pro 3 a little, usually i just play and use headphones without recording. I am considering getting something like guitar rig but idk. Sometimes i use an rp-50.

Song i am working on? well...mostly write my own rhythms i am not new to guitar but i am. so I got a long way to go, however i did just learn how to play black dog led zeplin, all but the solo where i just decided to come back to that when i am more capable. and i never really knew it was so fast..heehee i play it a bit slower for now

Sounds good to me, sounds like a positive pastime, any friends playing to collaborate with? "usually i just play and use headphones without recording" me too, usually with the processor just because it has so much flexibility and I think their tone has vastly improved, I've become accustomed to playing more with headphones on than ever before.

"write my own rhythms" You store them for recording? You can store them on a looper also. So you can add lead or whatever really.

Sounds good to me, sounds like a positive pastime, any friends playing to collaborate with? "usually i just play and use headphones without recording" me too, usually with the processor just because it has so much flexibility and I think their tone has vastly improved, I've become accustomed to playing more with headphones on than ever before.

"write my own rhythms" You store them for recording? You can store them on a looper also. So you can add lead or whatever really.

I throw in some drums to guitar tracks, use a track for bass drum another for snare, another for hihat, when i get far enough to have a structured song ill mix the drums to one track, but not til then because something could change. I was am a drummer so i get into that... I can place the beat anyway possible so on that i play better than i can actually play live. Long way away from understanding everything i can do with the program for example i know there is a way to put use a virtual bass but plugins are confusing.

No, i have not recorded all of my material, only a few things and i am re-doing lost material that i had made with my LP Special back in the day. The first tune i did has about 8 or 9 guitars by the end, one is acoustic with sm57 mic. The last thing i recorded was a short little jam to see how two different ideas would sound played together. both are leads and its all based on the one chord A. First time i recorded any decent lead parts and the two together sound f*ing amazing __for about 16 measures anyway. I am in no hurry, and to answer you about playing with others, I am not ready to look for others. I need more skill and more understanding of keys, scales, and the fretboard, basically i need to be much better than i am.

Oh and i wanted to say about the last recording the basic riff i have been playing for years, but when i went to record it, with drums, I found out i needed to either play it slightly different to add a half beat to it or had to create a 7/8 drum pattern. Though that would be kinda neat, i elected to add a muted downstroke on the a string and keep it in 4/4 timing, but it was funny to me that it was weird to play it different after many years., I realize from that i need to start using the program as a drum machine more often... The great thing about that is i can place a drum stroke anywhere i want, i need to find some free clips of some DW tomtoms though.

Oh what processor are you using?

We are way off topic from my post, should we go to another thread, or PM's or is this ok?

I throw in some drums to guitar tracks, use a track for bass drum another for snare, another for hihat, when i get far enough to have a structured song ill mix the drums to one track, but not til then because something could change. I was am a drummer so i get into that... I can place the beat anyway possible so on that i play better than i can actually play live. Long way away from understanding everything i can do with the program for example but plugins are confusing.

No, i have not recorded all of my material, only a few things and i am re-doing lost material that i had made with my LP Special back in the day. The first tune i did has about 8 or 9 guitars by the end, one is acoustic with sm57 mic. The last thing i recorded was a short little jam to see how two different ideas would sound played together. both are leads and its all based on the one chord A. First time i recorded any decent lead parts and the two together sound f*ing amazing __for about 16 measures anyway. I am in no hurry, and to answer you about playing with others, I am not ready to look for others. I need more skill and more understanding of keys, scales, and the fretboard, basically i need to be much better than i am.

Oh and i wanted to say about the last recording the basic riff i have been playing for years, but when i went to record it, with drums, I found out i needed to either play it slightly different to add a half beat to it or had to create a 7/8 drum pattern. Though that would be kinda neat, i elected to add a muted downstroke on the a string and keep it in 4/4 timing, but it was funny to me that it was weird to play it different after many years., I realize from that i need to start using the program as a drum machine more often... The great thing about that is i can place a drum stroke anywhere i want, i need to find some free clips of some DW tomtoms though.

Oh what processor are you using?

We are way off topic from my post, should we go to another thread, or PM's or is this ok?

I don't see why not. I'm using a G3 Zoom that I like and have used a couple years now, it has a few tones I like. Its kinda limited as it doesn't record loops, but has a drum pattern. I don't usually do my own drums but I have with a Akai XR20, I have a friend who is a drummer. I have messed with it though and I understand what your saying about being in time. Its a little more than that though, I think its hard to replace a good drummer with a machine also, but a virtual bass player too? That sounds pretty wild. To me also I think it takes more of my time to do what I know a good drummer could do for me. Basic idea............

http://therecordingrevolution.com/2011/12/02/real-drums-verses-fake-drums/

I don't see why not. I'm using a G3 Zoom that I like and have used a couple years now, it has a few tones I like. Its kinda limited as it doesn't record loops, but has a drum pattern. I don't usually do my own drums but I have with a Akai XR20, I have a friend who is a drummer. I have messed with it though and I understand what your saying about being in time. Its a little more than that though, I think its hard to replace a good drummer with a machine also, but a virtual bass player too? That sounds pretty wild. To me also I think it takes more of my time to do what I know a good drummer could do for me. Basic idea............

http://therecordingr...ses-fake-drums/

well i feel programming the drums gives you exactly what you need, (for practice), especially if a drummer does it. The flexability with a program like guitar trax lets you put in the whole song, as long as you want, note by note, or copy paste, that wont come out of a drum loop or sample, but your right a standard beat has no, "feel" or soul. As a drummer i hated those things when they came around and for any kind of final recording of course you can never replace a real person, especially a live performance i would never use a program or machine, but remember i am no good enough for a live drummer, id be a horrible experience for them, not even worth setting up a kit to play with me.

Also you cannot put a live drummer into a scarlett solo. The right way is to have a mic on each drum and a track for each mic, plus overheads, that be true live also. It seems impractical to call your drummer everytime you get an idea.

oh on your link there i just looked real quik, what i use is recordings of real drums, just put the sound clip in the program and move it to the place i want it. But i am missing the tomtoms i used to have was there i download there? i didnt find it

Golden i am sending you a PM to a lil piece of what i talked about. remember its a first rough sample

Archived