Gibson Brands Forums

VOS and Gloss

ufboy73

Out of the historic reissues, is the '59 now the only one that comes with the gloss finish? on the website, their does not seem to be gloss models listed for '57 and '60, for example, which surprised me. i would have thought all models would be available in either finish.

also, would there be any difference in the feel of the neck between gloss or VOS or is it strictly differences in physical appearance.

I tried a '57 VOS locally and could have sworn the neck felt smoother without that 'sticky' laquer feel some of the gibsons have - but I do not know if this was a byproduct of the VOS finish or just of this particular guitar.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought mine, I had a choice of a gloss or VOS. The gloss sounded a little brighter, and a bit less "woody." Not sure if that was the result of the finish or the guitar itself. (Store I was buying from did mention the same thing.) I think the VOS feels a little 'stickier' to me because the finish isn't a smooth. I've never had to clean a neck so much in my life! It seems to attract dirt more than my other glossy guitars.

-Brad

definately gloss if you can find one.. cant you gloss it up with some special polish though? thats what i would do

It seems like from playing it and polishing it after string changes the "VOS" is starting to dissipate and the gloss is starting to reappear. The duller finish is kind of cool, as they've punted a bit of the "new" off the guitar. They also buff up some of the plastic to make it look a bit more worn. I figure in ten years no one will know....

New off the shelf Gibsons sometimes have a tacky feel to them. It builds up quickly on the neck and to some degree can inhibit playing. I always make it a habit to wipe down my neck. I usually just use the moist breath method for normal cleaning but then every few weeks I toss a light bit of lemon oil and that always seems to do the trick. I am not a big fan of dead stock mint looking guitars and I am not a big fan of uber relics. I like when the guitar is worn in but taken care of. The first ding is always the worst though but once you get over the hump and accept the fact of dings I usually feel better taking the guitar out and actually playing with it. :0

thanks a lot guys! it sounds like my initial impression was mistaken...even though the VOS i tried had a smooth feeling neck, it was simply that guitar and not the fact that it was a VOS...in fact, if anything, based on the comments above it sounds like gloss models may have generally smoother necks than the VOS models.

I must admit though...i have recently come round to the conclusion that i need to try guitars out before buying, thus eliminating the online dealers....but i literally have not seen one reissue gloss model in my area. I understand that you can order it from gibson but how do you balance having to order a guitar with being able to 'shop' around and try different ones in person to find the one?

Archived