Gibson Brands Forums

J200 1995 3 piece back.

oo0paddyc0oo

Hi kids,

I was in my local guitar shop the other day and cam across a 1995 J200 with a 3 piece back. I've never seen one like it before.

Is this a custom or was it just something gibson did in 1995?

Also, what benefits (or disadvantages) would this have as opposed to the regular 2 piece?

I am sorry I can't answer your question specifically with regard to the J200 - but I can tell you that Martin started the D35 model when wood was in short supply - the three piece back was easier to put together from smaller pieces of wood.

As far as I understand it, the 3-piece back will not differ in sound from a two piece to any great extent.

I can't tell you why they chose to make it with a three section back, but I would imagine it was to do with wood shortages and matching sections. Either way, I think it looks pretty cool, I've seen a pre-war western classic with a three piece back before, but never a standard J200.

I can't tell you why they chose to make it with a three section back' date=' but I would imagine it was to do with wood shortages and matching sections. Either way, I think it looks pretty cool, I've seen a pre-war western classic with a three piece back before, but never a standard J200.[/quote']

Frankly, I wonder about this myself. Any benefits, aside from aesthetics? Any drawbacks to a 3-piece?

Hmm...

Bozeman has produced some three-piece back J-200s periodically. IIRC' date=' our own rar purchased a stunning example in '06, with different stains on the back.

Here's a photo of a 3-piece back:

Fred[/quote']

Man, that is some pretty wood!!

That Koa/Maple/Koa back is beautiful!

Apparently, the only tonal facet that a three piece back exhibits is a slightly more pronounced bass response...a bit more 'thump' so to speak.

Compare and contrast a Martin OM28 with an OM45, for example.

Archived