Gibson Brands Forums

'16 SG Standard Input Jack Touches Control Plate

curnla

I have a question regarding a design flaw in my 2016 Gibson SG Standard. Along with the allegedly "normal" static electricity popping and crackling issues, when I touch or in extreme cases place my whole hand on the control plate I get extremely loud buzzing through any amp I own. This also happens with every cable I use. What I do know is that the PCB mounted input jack extends too high in the control cavity and it touches the control plate. The problem is eliminated when the back plate is removed. Does anyone have any thoughts? I saw a thread on some forum where the OP had the same issue, reported it to Gibson and Gibson would not address the issue. I don't know if he gave up or if there was resolution. Help is needed.

I have a question regarding a design flaw in my 2016 Gibson SG Standard. Along with the allegedly "normal" static electricity popping and crackling issues, when I touch or in extreme cases place my whole hand on the control plate I get extremely loud buzzing through any amp I own. This also happens with every cable I use. What I do know is that the PCB mounted input jack extends too high in the control cavity and it touches the control plate. The problem is eliminated when the back plate is removed. Does anyone have any thoughts? I saw a thread on some forum where the OP had the same issue, reported it to Gibson and Gibson would not address the issue. I don't know if he gave up or if there was resolution. Help is needed.

If your guitar is new, it is under warranty, and Gibson should fix it for you.

Get in touch with Gibson customer service and they will tell you where the nearest authorized repair guys are.

Static electricity popping and crackling are not normal, nor is the loud buzzing you mention. On a new guitar, for

the original owner, this is a warranty issue. It's not a design flaw, it's a flaw in the wiring harness... caused by poor

workmanship, or customer abuse, or modifications by person or persons unknown.

If your guitar is NOT under warranty, (like if you bought it from somebody else, or you have modded it)

then you take it to the best luthier you can afford and ask him to sort it out for you. Your SG is worth it,

and the efforts of a pro luthier are always a good idea on a new guitar. Pro setup will enhance your SG experience.

Those noises and buzzes are not normal, and your guitar ought to be dead quiet, which is normal.

Dead quiet is what the guitar is designed to be.

Many of us are opposed to Gibson's use of the PCB board in the control cavity, which makes routine swapping

of parts more difficult. Because of this, you might find it easy to buy a replacement wiring harness online, from

somebody who has removed the whole thing from their Gibson and installed fifties type wiring. Or you might

simply do this... pull the whole harness out and replace it with a good quality wiring harness made the old way.

On a new Gibson, I'd check the warranty first... but having an SG Standard that's been properly set up and has

had its wiring problems corrected is a very desirable thing. Once you get it right, it's the guitar of a lifetime.

Don't let these problems discourage you. Stuff like this is very correctable.

If your guitar is new, it is under warranty, and Gibson should fix it for you.

Get in touch with Gibson customer service and they will tell you where the nearest authorized repair guys are.

Static electricity popping and crackling are not normal, nor is the loud buzzing you mention. On a new guitar, for

the original owner, this is a warranty issue. It's not a design flaw, it's a flaw in the wiring harness... caused by poor

workmanship, or customer abuse, or modifications by person or persons unknown.

If your guitar is NOT under warranty, (like if you bought it from somebody else, or you have modded it)

then you take it to the best luthier you can afford and ask him to sort it out for you. Your SG is worth it,

and the efforts of a pro luthier are always a good idea on a new guitar. Pro setup will enhance your SG experience.

Those noises and buzzes are not normal, and your guitar ought to be dead quiet, which is normal.

Dead quiet is what the guitar is designed to be.

Many of us are opposed to Gibson's use of the PCB board in the control cavity, which makes routine swapping

of parts more difficult. Because of this, you might find it easy to buy a replacement wiring harness online, from

somebody who has removed the whole thing from their Gibson and installed fifties type wiring. Or you might

simply do this... pull the whole harness out and replace it with a good quality wiring harness made the old way.

On a new Gibson, I'd check the warranty first... but having an SG Standard that's been properly set up and has

had its wiring problems corrected is a very desirable thing. Once you get it right, it's the guitar of a lifetime.

Don't let these problems discourage you. Stuff like this is very correctable.

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for your help. I have contacted Gibson an am awaiting a reply. However, I'm also considering a hand wired harness.

Did you ever get a response?

I emailed customer support about the horrid setup on my brand new SG Standard, as well as the static issues.

I've gotten no response yet.

Archived