Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop Firebird vs Dove: basically the same?

Old Neil

I would think so too, slimt, but no. Though sharing lots of power, projection, bass and fat running sweets, the two are significantly different.

The Dove is a Dove and sounds undeniable dovish, , , meaning more mapled, mellow, syrup-dripping almost creamy.

Have to say I don't hear it as particularly bright - not in the sharp brittle sense anyway.

The F-bird leans toward something more neutral, which can be quite liberating.

I even recall a member/owner here, who called it Martin-like. Not sure I would back that, but kind of see what he meant.

But Bozeman have played a brilliant trick on us by presenting a new long-scale maple square that don't sound like the classic Dove.

I'm the happy owner of one of each and the plan was to only keep the favorite. The fact that they're still both here speaks for itself.

And I must admit I would be hard to choose if forced - would probably pick the F. It's the crown of the herd here - a majestic guitar.

Check the other Tube-tests. The acoustic ones will show what was said above.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bYsTG****X4

, , , and there're more

I would think so too, slimt, but no. Though sharing lots of power, projection, bass and fat running sweets, the two are significantly different.

The Dove is a Dove and sounds undeniable dovish, , , meaning more mapled, mellow, syrup-dripping almost creamy.

Have to say I don't hear it as particularly bright - not in the sharp brittle sense anyway.

The F-bird leans toward something more neutral, which can be quite liberating.

I even recall a member/owner here, who called it Martin-like. Not sure I would back that, but kind of see what he meant.

But Bozeman have played a brilliant trick on us by presenting a new long-scale maple square that don't sound like the classic Dove.

I'm the happy owner of one of each and the plan was to only keep the favorite. The fact that they're still both here speaks for itself.

And I must admit I would be hard to choose if forced - would probably pick the F. It's the crown of the herd here - a majestic guitar.

Check the other Tube-tests. The acoustic ones will show what was said above.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bYsTG****X4

, , , and there're more

wonder as well if the bracing would have been changed as well then... I dont have a Firebird.. so its a good question by the OP. be interesting to find out..

Great that you are in the unique position to own and play both.

Are their tops braced differently? Which of those two has deeper bass? From your post it seems you have the Dove as the brighter sounding of those two.

Always string the pair up with the same steel within the same hour. The two now have 80/20 bronze, which have been on since December 15.

So guess I'm the person to ask :-)

And the 6 years old F-bird is generally stronger than the 1996 D.

The Dove is wonderfully loose, but the F - in all its might - is coming after it. As said they are magnificent guitars.

Just checked them both and found that the cold temperatures have lowered the D's action dramatically.

It happened during the past week or less and to this guitar only !?!

Off goes the tr-cover. .

wonder as well if the bracing would have been changed as well then... I dont have a Firebird.. so its a good question by the OP. be interesting to find out..

Admit not having studied the more nuanced details of the bracings.

Same pattern of course, but positions and thicknesses etc. are terrain vague at this point.

A lite'n'mirror-A/B will be executed by next string change - bet there are visible differences. .

Admit not having studied the more nuanced details of the bracings.

Same pattern of course, but positions and thicknesses etc. are terrain vague at this point.

A lite'n'mirror-A/B will be executed by next string change - bet there are visible differences. .

Interesting. Keep us all posted. :-)

Archived