Gibson Brands Forums

Adjustable Bridge on my 1968 Southern Jumbo

ezra1

I really liked my '67 J45 with the adjustable gubbins fitted, but eventually curiosity got the best of my and I made a rosewood insert for it with a routed slot that was a perfect fit, and dropped that in with a saddle fabricated from a Tusq blank.

WOW, what a gamechanger...the difference was HUGE and it now sounds like the best J45 I've ever heard. Very much like my former bandmate's '53 J45 but mine is less dry and more lively.

Soon I'll have the bridge replaced entirely as the current one is lifting a little and has a poorly executed old repair which needs putting right.

If you're after improved tone and don't care about resale/originality, I say bin the adjustable stuff and go fixed and you'll be gobsmacked at the improvement ☺

Glad to see you back, Jinder. It's been a long time.

If you go the bridge replacement route, be sure to remove the heavy brass barrel nuts beneath the bridge at the same time. The only time you can get those out is when the bridge is off. As I recall, removing the adjusting hardware saves about 100 grams of weight.

Oh yea, Nick. Get those sleeves off the top. It will effect the shaping of the underside of the bridge. There's a few Ebay guys selling BrRosewood blanks that are pretty as hell. I'd go that route, in fact I'm buying one or two to stash.

Archived