Gibson Brands Forums

Mixed feelings over Fishman Aura Ellipse in my SJ200

Jinder

For what's its worth, I've never had any complaints about the Baggs Element system in all three of my Gibsons. I gig regular and they sound as crisp and clear and natural as the day I bought them. I run them into a Roland AC90 which is a phenomenally good amp which projects a very natural sound and fills the room (and outdoors) so well.

I do like the Element system. For me, the Matrix Infinity edges it but only just. The one issue I have with the Element is that whilst it works very well in some guitars (Spruce and Mahogany seems to really make it shine) I've never had one in a Maple guitar that has sounded good to me. I really dislike the way the Element in my Dove sounds, whereas the one in my SJ100 sounded lovely. The one in my old Hummingbird sounded terrific too, but I've never been pleased with an Element in an SJ200 or the CJ165 that I had a while back. I think there's an overtone in Maple instruments that just doesn't jive well with the Element but doesn't seem to affect a Fishman pickup in the same way.

Tonight was my first show with the Matrix Infinity in my '41 Reissue SJ100 into the Aura 16 pedal into my Loudbox performer...I can absolutely say that tonight was the best plugged in acoustic tone I've ever had. Jaw dropping stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up on this a couple of weeks after the fact...I'm still loving the Matrix Infinity>Aura 16 combo. I need to cut a new Tusq saddle for my SJ100 as the bone one in it is a bit inconsistent string balance wise, but only in a VERY minor way.

I've run this setup for eight gigs now and really couldn't be happier. Simple, solid, not too much stuff inside the guitar, great sounding outboard processor rather than a compromised little one hanging off the top of the guitar...I've got another Infinity on order to replace the Aura Ellipse in my SJ200 which will be a blessed relief. No more rattling buttons!

Tonight was my first show with the Matrix Infinity in my '41 Reissue SJ100 into the Aura 16 pedal into my Loudbox performer...I can absolutely say that tonight was the best plugged in acoustic tone I've ever had. Jaw dropping stuff.

And apparently the battery didn't die on you! Good info in this thread!

I use K&K Triniti Mini System in almost all my acoustics.

As I don't play in loud big venues I have no feedback issues.

That is one of the reasons I pulled off the O-Port that I installed years ago in my J200 MR GIBS.

K&K Triniti Mini + O-Port with a slot for the mic is my solution anti feedback.

Archived