Gibson Brands Forums

New J-45 Custom Bubinga

mtnfire1500

That is a very pretty guitar. I might try to find one to check out - I saw a couple for sale online via music stores.

I'm in the process of shopping for a J-45, and I think this time I will avoid the ebay route at all cost. I just like to get my hands on one before I make that final decision. Luckily living around Austin, Texas there are no shortage of guitar shops with both new and old guitars.

Mtnfire, I also have a Takamine as my beater travel guitar. I picked it up a couple years ago when I was traveling and without my nicer guitars. Nothing fancy tone-wise, but they do have decent necks and stand up to abuse, and having a built in tuner, which is handy for traveling. Stay safe over there - seems like you're going to great lengths to escape that north country winter.

Well those North Country winters can be pretty rough!! #-o But then again another month or so, it'll be warming up here again!! 2 summers here straight is quite enough. We saw over 130 a couple times in Aug. last summer. Give me the snow!!!

Andy

• 1 month later...

I just got me a J 45 Bubinga yesterday. Just like the one on the previous page. Wow!

I've owned LOTS of guitars over the years (mostly electrics—vintage Gibsons and Fenders). This is hands-down the finest musical instrument I've ever owned. It makes my other Gibson (EC-20) sound like a cardboard box. It just begs you to play it because it sounds so good. I've read about "note definition" and "clarity" referring to acoustic guitars—but I never really got it until now. Every little nuance comes though, unlike any guitar I've played. AND it plays absolutely perfectly in tune everywhere on the neck—so no matter what odd chord you play, it just rings. It's really unbelievable how great this guitar is. Very inspiring.

Over the last few years I've been doing a lot more gigs on acoustic. This guitar is going to get A LOT of use. Can't wait!

I just got me a J 45 Bubinga yesterday. Just like the one on the previous page. Wow!

I've owned LOTS of guitars over the years (mostly electrics—vintage Gibsons and Fenders). This is hands-down the finest musical instrument I've ever owned. It makes my other Gibson (EC-20) sound like a cardboard box. It just begs you to play it because it sounds so good. I've read about "note definition" and "clarity" referring to acoustic guitars—but I never really got it until now. Every little nuance comes though' date=' unlike any guitar I've played. AND it plays absolutely perfectly in tune everywhere on the neck—so no matter what odd chord you play, it just rings. It's really unbelievable how great this guitar is. Very inspiring.

Over the last few years I've been doing a lot more gigs on acoustic. This guitar is going to get A LOT of use. Can't wait![/quote']

Would you be able to tell me what kind of strings you are using? I have a Custom shop J-45, but I have been fighting with intonation from day 1. Strings have a noticeable affect. But it could be action needs to be slightly lower. Or it also could be the whole bridge slot is slightly off toward the fretboard, making everything erroneously high. I'm still working with it. I know that action also makes a big difference. But if I go too low, I cant dig in as much as I like without getting some buz.

Comments...?

I've owned LOTS of guitars over the years (mostly electrics—vintage Gibsons and Fenders). This is hands-down the finest musical instrument I've ever owned. It makes my other Gibson (EC-20) sound like a cardboard box. It just begs you to play it because it sounds so good. I've read about "note definition" and "clarity" referring to acoustic guitars—but I never really got it until now. Every little nuance comes though' date=' unlike any guitar I've played. AND it plays absolutely perfectly in tune everywhere on the neck—so no matter what odd chord you play, it just rings. It's really unbelievable how great this guitar is. Very inspiring.

Over the last few years I've been doing a lot more gigs on acoustic. This guitar is going to get A LOT of use. Can't wait![/quote']

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the new J-45.

Cla—

I called the store and they are the factory strings (I haven't changed them yet) and they did no set up on the guitar whatsoever. They put a caliper on another slope D there at the store and apparently the strings on it are 12-53. Light gauge. I'd actually like to have something slightly lighter, but I'm afraid to change a thing because it's so good now. I sympathize with your tuning problems. My EC-20 has never played in tune and the action has always been high. Drives me nuts, but these days it's in open G and I use it for slide.

aymeric22-

I don't have any good way to record it that would allow you to really hear it as you should. Sorry 'bout that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived