Gibson Brands Forums

Weddings!

theflyingturtle

One of my jamming buddies, and a very good friend, is getting married in November and he asked me to play at his wedding. Well, first he asked me to sing a song when his fiancee walked down the aisle. Then he asked me to play some songs at the reception. Finally he came over yesterday to jam and asked me to play the entire wedding! I have performed before but I've never worked a wedding. I am very well set up for playing in my studio but not gigging. I was told that there will be about 80 people at the wedding but they'd like to do it on the cheap. They're a young couple and money will be in short supply for a while. I will be doing this as a favor a my gift to them. So I have a couple of guitars with pickups that I could use and a Roland AC-33. I can run the guitar and the mic through that. It has reverb and chorus. Can I get some suggestions as to what or how I should plan for the event? I am not tech savvy so type slowly! [laugh]

That's a good question Sal. They are in their early thirties so they are "90's kids". I was given the bride's set list. It includes Van Morrison, Rhiana, Parachute, Amos Lee, John Mayer, Ray LaMontange, John Legend, Ben Folds, Etta James, The Heads and the Heart, Dave Matthews, and some classical pieces if I can get my chops up in time. I haven't performed a classical piece in... More than 10 years! There are only 14 songs on the list so I almost certain that I'll have to add some songs. I have four thick binders with all of the songs I sing so she can go through those and see if she likes any of them. How many songs do you need for a wedding?

I only played a wedding once. I wish I could get more wedding gigs. The couple is still together and still thanks me. The only advice I can really give is you also kinda have to be an MC for the wedding. Or at least that is how I did it. I made sure I toasted the couple. I made sure I asked if anyone wanted to make speeches about the couple on my sound system. I made sure I called the couple up to thank everyone for coming. And, in between all that I just played my normal music after double checking with the couple that that was indeed why they wanted me to play music at their wedding. In your case, if the bride has given you a set list and you can do all the songs, go for it. But, consider my additional suggestions.

I, like you probably, had a little extra concern about that gig and not screwing up the couple's wedding. But, that's a healthy concern to have because, of course, you do not want to for their benefit.

Hope it goes well!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived