Gibson Brands Forums

Forgotten Flowers, John Fullbright

livemusic

Here is one of my favorite artists, based on one album alone. His second album wasn't as good for me but the first, "From The Ground Up" is sensational. So irreverent, which I love. If I recall correctly, it was Grammy-nominated. He's as good a piano player as he is a guitarist. And plays great harp. Plus, a unique voice. I look forward to album #3.

I suppose this song is a ballad, in the old-school definition. No chorus, no bridge. Nashville wouldn't have it, but folk embraces it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaomcqQp92k

Lyric: http://www.johnfullbrightmusic.com/music/lyrics-forgotten%20flowers/

Yeah, i found him actually through this forum a few years ago. I really like and bought his From the Ground Up album, but lordy, the follow up to that was totally crap. I guess it shows how hard it is to consitently deliver quality materials ad the hightest level. The pressure must be immense.

Yeah, i found him actually through this forum a few years ago. I really like and bought his From the Ground Up album, but lordy, the follow up to that was totally crap. I guess it shows how hard it is to consitently deliver quality materials ad the hightest level. The pressure must be immense.

Isn't that the age-old quandary of an artist, especially one writing his own material -- the sophomore jinx? Theory being, a young man or woman comes to the table with his/her whole life of creativity on the table. And makes a great record. Then what? Very few are able to match the first.

I also find it interesting, and have wished I could meet him to ask him... I think I read somewhere that he expressed a dissatisfaction with writing songs along the theme of so many of the songs on the first album. Which seemed to be somewhat irreverent, meaning expressing discontent with religion. I would like to know why he said that, as it certainly worked for many people. I mean, did he catch flak for that, or just tire of the theme, or what?

I love JF's music. The first album and the live record are lovely LPs. I haven't heard much of the second studio album but I really like 'The One That Lives Too Far' and have covered it live a few times.

Archived