Gibson Brands Forums

Every one is different.......

Buc McMaster

It's been settled for the 14 fret 45........Martin Retro 12s bring out the aggressive character of the adirondack top......perfect for this one. First strung the 12 fret with 80/20 Masterbuilts......meh. Okay, I suppose, but they did not make me wanna shout to the heavens. Tried the monels on it next and to my surprise was not impressed. They sound okay and is what was on the guitar for the last video, but there was something missing. So good on the 14 fret but not so with the sitka top of the short neck. But I do think I've found the right set for this little gem: DR Sunbeam 12.......yes sir.......these work. Nice low end thump with more presence than the monels, not shimmery but perhaps glossy........warm and sweet. The tonal difference between the two guitars is now very striking. Though I may experiment further in the future, I am very pleased with these Sunbeams on "Shorty".

(....and the new tune has improved leaps and bounds with repetitions......the guitar part is smooth and stark and I've worked the vocal to a dark, emotive telling of the tale. Glad how I love working a tune!

It's been settled for the 14 fret 45........Martin Retro 12s bring out the aggressive character of the adirondack top......perfect for this one. First strung the 12 fret with 80/20 Masterbuilts......meh. Okay, I suppose, but they did not make me wanna shout to the heavens. Tried the monels on it next and to my surprise was not impressed. They sound okay and is what was on the guitar for the last video, but there was something missing. So good on the 14 fret but not so with the sitka top of the short neck. But I do think I've found the right set for this little gem: DR Sunbeam 12.......yes sir.......these work. Nice low end thump with more presence than the monels, not shimmery but perhaps glossy........warm and sweet. The tonal difference between the two guitars is now very striking. Though I may experiment further in the future, I am very pleased with these Sunbeams on "Shorty".

(....and the new tune has improved leaps and bounds with repetitions......the guitar part is smooth and stark and I've worked the vocal to a dark, emotive telling of the tale. Glad how I love working a tune!

Man! Buc, you have exactly the same taste in strings that I do. I've never seen this before. More glossy that shimmery? Do you think that's the 12 fret neck, the nature of the strings, the top, etc? I'm curious.

Archived