Gibson Brands Forums

Small Bass Combo...

Murph

I might get my daughter a small practice bass amp. I see several based ( [rolleyes] ) around 1:10 or 1:12, I simply don't think an 8" speaker would work. Would it?

Actually I wanted 50 watts or so to be able to do an acoustic gig / practice situation with a line out if needed.

Hartke makes a 50 watt 1:10, What about the little Eden rig? Anybody have experience with them.

Might fall back on Peavey.

The two small bass amps we use -- we actually have two of each, so we were happy enough with each to by a second -- are the GK MicroBass combo and the Roland Micro Cube Bass RX. The GK is probably overkill for you -- a road warrior built like a tank but maybe too much power (150) and pricey -- but a great amp much used on the bluegrass circuit. The Roland uses an array of small speakers, which is a great approach for a small form factor. It will run on batteries for 13 hours. My wife normally plays stand up bass, but sometimes that just won't work. She uses her Rolands for a stage monitor sometimes and she also pairs it with a rubber string U-bass for travel. We certainly gig with that that outfit, and it works surprisingly well even with an acoustic five piece full up bluegrass band. It looks a little goofy, with that tiny bass but hey, if you close your eyes it sound remarkably like a standup.

That is my report. Good luck.

-Tom

I'm seeing those little uke basses being used all over for bluegrass type stuff. It seems they are being accepted quite well, my Mother In Law uses one for Nursing Home stuff in Louisiana and we met them in Arkansas a few years back on a Mountain, (Mountain Home, Mountain View, something like that) where the whole town has a jam session in the Park on weekends and NO AMPS are allowed, and she was allowed to use a teeny little battery amp with her uke bass.

I was afraid they might arrest her, but they never did...........

Archived