Gibson Brands Forums

Value of a 61 SG Special..

flyingwondebus

Afternoon All

I wonder if any of you guys might have an opinion on the value of a 61 SG Special, have seen one going for a very good price, its had a heasdstock repair, new tuners, a refinish and 70s humbuckers fitted at some point but looks clean enough.

Of course it might turn out to be a fake when viewing in person but looks original from the pics....

Afternoon All

I wonder if any of you guys might have an opinion on the value of a 61 SG Special, have seen one going for a very good price, its had a heasdstock repair, new tuners, a refinish and 70s humbuckers fitted at some point but looks clean enough.

Of course it might turn out to be a fake when viewing in person but looks original from the pics....

Half of what it originally cost and then take more off due to a headstock break.

If you are sure it's a '61 (when they were still called LPs) then one in near-mint condition would be worth around $5 - 6k.

Considering all the swaps, the refinish and the headstock break perhaps $2 - $2.5k (depending on the rest of its condition)?

Pip.

If you are sure it's a '61 (when they were still called LPs) then one in near-mint condition would be worth around $5 - 6k.

Considering all the swaps, the refinish and the headstock break perhaps $2 - $2.5k (depending on the rest of its condition)?

Pip.

Very difficult to prove its age from a few pics, its for sale in what amounts to a pawn shop over here in the UK, about a 4hr drive away, they're asking £1400. I'd say its in fair nick..

The description from the advert..

1961 Gibson SG Special

Original pickups swapped out for 1970s Gibson Pickups

Headstock Has Been Repaired - Barely visible (can see from photos)

Guitar Has Been Refinished

Bridge and tuners have been replaced

Plays very well - Great Sound!

Comes with a hard case.

Even with all the changes and the break I'd still say £1400 is a pretty fair deal. The date is the main thing here as anything post-'63 (when they changed from being Les Pauls to SGs) is worth less.

This is only a fair deal from the Historic aspect, of course...

If you DO get it then we'd love to see a follow-up story and some snaps!

Pip.

Hard to estimate the UK price based on my experience here in the US where the availability is vastly better, but on the surface of it I'd say that the cost seems reasonable. The headstock break devaluation depends somewhat on the quality of the repair, as a lousy job is even more of a detraction than the loss of value in a well-repaired break. This one sounds like it was repaired well, in which case 1400 seems justifiable.

Archived