Gibson Brands Forums

Birthday Ideas

albertjohn

Not long 'til my 47th birthday (well 2 months actually but who's counting).

Despite having been a member of this fine Forum for over 1 year now, I really don't have too much of a clue when it comes to the different Gibson Acoustic models and their peculiarities.

So does anyone know if there is a book to help with this? I like lots of pictures and big writing is best so I can have it read to me by my children. Now that I'm on the home stretch to 50 my eyesight is beginning to get dodgy!

Any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=paul+weller&sprefix=paul+weller

Although joking aside, there must be something here??

Or the "Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top" is always referenced here, so maybe that:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gibsons-Fabulous-Flat-Top-Guitars-Illustrated/dp/0879302976/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235395267&sr=1-12

And yes. Today is a slow day at work...

In my opinion (not universally shared by any means ) Gibson is pretty well priced for the quality and materials. You obviously do not want laminates of any kind. I doubt you'd want the "unfinished"types hanging in the guitar center. That gets you up to about $1,000/ea. Then you get into the workmanship, the hardware, the tone-wood mix, the feel, the balance. That's about where Gibson starts (price-wise). I liked Gibson btter than Martin (but I respect Martin -- and there are many choices). I respect Taylor too. From the basic well-made Gibson .. there are a variety of choices (dreadnought, jumbo, etc.) you get into how much ornate gingerbread you like -- inlays in the fretboard, engraved pick guards, bindings. Study up on tone woods a little because there are difference between Brazilian rosewood and mahogany and maple, etc. ... and, of course, spruce in the top. Gibsons are sturdier (in my opinion) -- what's that worth? Finally -- play the models you like. How do YOU like them? How do they feel? What rings your chimes? It's a personal choice (like women). Ruby lips, shapely hips ..When she walks ..the cats flip .. sometimes I think she's almost mean as me!

In my opinion (not universally shared by any means ) Gibson is pretty well priced for the quality and materials. You obviously do not want laminates of any kind. I doubt you'd want the "unfinished"types hanging in the guitar center. That gets you up to about $1' date='000/ea. Then you get into the workmanship, the hardware, the tone-wood mix, the feel, the balance. That's about where Gibson starts (price-wise). I liked Gibson btter than Martin (but I respect Martin -- and there are many choices). I respect Taylor too. From the basic well-made Gibson .. there are a variety of choices (dreadnought, jumbo, etc.) you get into how much ornate gingerbread you like -- inlays in the fretboard, engraved pick guards, bindings. Study up on tone woods a little because there are difference between Brazilian rosewood and mahogany and maple, etc. ... and, of course, spruce in the top. Gibsons are sturdier (in my opinion) -- what's that worth? Finally -- play the models you like. How do YOU like them? How do they feel? What rings your chimes? It's a personal choice (like women). Ruby lips, shapely hips ..When she walks ..the cats flip .. sometimes I think she's almost mean as me!

[/quote']

Eh?

Archived