Gibson Brands Forums

Lightly sanded a J-45

Dallon426

Folks. No matter how much time.you spend playing your newer j-45 the finish will.still look glossy. Unless you sleep with it, take it to the beach, rub your arse on it.

The fact is the finish nowadays is far different than what they originally were. I'm not relic'ing the guitar. Just trying to get a semigloss finish.

Do people say the same thing when. You paint your room? "Dare I say, you could be sleeping more if you weren't interested in painting your room". That's a given. I could be playing more guitar if I was paralyzed as well. Why? Cause I would not have much else to do. I like tweaking things. It's a challenge. I learn and I help.others with my knowledge.

Dare I say how many albums have you recorded? I've got about ten in various genres. Point is, I play my guitar.

" do what you like" as blind faith tells us... I gotta say I think that too many are experimenting on nice guitars with pickguard nut saddle pickups finish tuners pins strap buttons - original condition gits are getting mauled by people "improving" Gibson gits that were fine to start . Makes buying used tricky...but too each their own...

I'm someone who thinks dulling a guitars finish is a waste of time and effort, but I just basically overhauled my J45 with new tuners, removed the OEM pickup and installed a K&K, replaced the "flubber" Pickguard that kept peeling off, and had a bone nut and saddle made. Plenty of people would think that was a waste of time and money as well. And I wholeheartedly welcome comments from anyone who thinks that's the case. Those people are entitled to voicing their opinions, which dont matter to me because I like the results and the way the guitar turned out.

My point being, if I didn't want to read negative comments or replies from people who disagreed with me, I wouldn't have started a thread explaining what I did to the guitar and posting pics of it. Instead of getting super defensive about why you like a duller finish, how many records you've recorded, how much you play your guitars vs how much time is spent sanding them (maybe that's a new subset of guitar ownership...some are players, others working/performing musicians, some are collectors, and other are...sanders!) instead grow a thicker skin and worry less about what others think and focus more on the people who reply offering advice and support.

Cool. Maybe you can contribute some valuable information instead of stating how you feel about people sanding their guitars. That has nothing to do with my original question. Did I ask... Hey guys how do you feel about sanding your guitars? No... No I did not.

Thanks for your irrelevant input. Now.... Go play your guitar🤠

For the life of me, I think the Songwriter is one of the ugliest guitars on the planet, followed closely by the Hummingbird and the Dove.

Ouh, now I am offended - deep in my soul and behalf of the Gibson mythology itself.

Never heard anything like this and probably won't be able to sleep tonite.

Oooounley kiddin', good dhanners623 - you are so welcome. Actually a bit of a relief to see the vain fliers take a little flak.

Won't move my/our wildlife lOVE an inch though. U know we are fools for these winged creatures.

Am I right when assuming it has to do with the guards and them only, , , hmmmm, bindings and split-parallelograms too. . ?

Rock on there ^

I don't get people who put stickers on their guitars, but Paul McCartney did ok with a Detroit Red Wing decal on his Texan.

Macca is known to have made a few mistakes here and there. The tune Cook of The House was another.

Yep, I've never read ridiculous posts on this forum.

For some reason this came as an extra relief for me - thanx, FZ.

Roll on as well. .

Archived